- Closing date 29 Jul 2021
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
Vacancy: Kilo-lab and Development Team Leader
Location: UK – Cambridge
Job Family: R&D
Together for a cleaner, healthier world.
At Johnson Matthey we are inspired by our vision for a world that’s cleaner and healthier, today and for future generations. We harness our leading-edge science and technology to deliver value for our customers and breakthrough results that enhance lives.
It’s an environment to bring out our best – where empowerment and support go hand in hand with stretch and challenge. Where difference matters and all voices are heard; be empowered to deliver, learn and grow.
We have an opportunity for a Team Leader within Johnson Matthey’s Life Science Technologies sector based in Cambridge. They will lead a research and pilot scale-up manufacturing team dedicated to developing and implementing safe, scalable and efficient processes to make homogeneous catalysts products from laboratory scale to multi-Kg scale production.
- Managing a Kg Lab facility including the installation and commissioning of equipment, supervision of contractors and maintenance, project managing the production of multi-Kg scale complex ligands and transition metal complexes for supply to customers
- Leading process safety; being responsible for the process safety studies leading to scale up of laboratory scale processes to the KgLab facility or to other facilities or external partners
- Leading the Development and Pilot Plant teams, motivating high performance, creating a collaborative team environment and fostering the technical and personal growth of team members
- Development of synthetic processes from lab scale to Kg scale, from selection of appropriate synthetic route to process development, for the commercial production of new and existing small volume, high value organometallic products
- Lead research and project review meetings, presenting and summarising results for discussion
- Ensure quality of the data and results and full documentation of these data in laboratory notebooks, batch sheets and hazard studies reports
Are you the ideal candidate?
You will have:
- BSc/MSc ChE or MSc/PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or equivalent related field
- Demonstratable industrial experience managing a Kg Lab or Pilot Plant
- Experience leading a team, driving high performance and creating a collaborative working environment
- Experience in complex organic synthesis and handling of air sensitive compounds on Kg
- Experience running process risk and other hazard evaluations and risk mitigation techniques
- Expert in process safety and process development
- Experience planning and executing laboratory work to meet deadlines
How to apply:
If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online. For any queries or should you require any reasonable adjustments to support your application please contact UKRecruit@matthey.com.
Closing date for applications: 29/07/2021
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.