- Closing date 14 Jun 2019
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
Nuclera is a next-generation DNA synthesis company creating solutions for the synthetic biology, enzyme engineering, and pharmaceutical industries. Our enzyme-mediated DNA synthesis platform will enable the rapid and cost-effective production of highly accurate, ultra-long DNA products. We are building a benchtop synthesis instrument capable of making long-length variant DNA and genome libraries for protein, biological pathway, and ultimately genome-scale engineering.
The Automation Engineer will join the instrumentation department at Nuclera, interfacing with experts in chemistry, biochemistry and engineering to develop a new device to revolutionize and democratize the field of DNA synthesis. The position involves all facets of design, creation and troubleshooting of a complex electronic/fluidic instrument and controlling the associated components.
This is a great opportunity to join a rapidly growing R&D team and to gain experience in biomedical instrumentation and its control.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Designing subcomponents (valves, pumps, sensors, etc.) for manipulation of fluids
- Interfacing those components to each other, controlling them via commercial and custom made electronics and debugging the control circuits; potentially writing some or all of the control software
- Working with microfluidic engineers to develop Nuclera's benchtop DNA synthesis device
- A graduate degree in electronic, mechanical, instrumentation engineering or the equivalent experience
- At least 2 years’ direct experience with design and control of novel instrumentation
Demonstrated ability to design, conduct and analyse practical experiments
Desirable qualifications and skills
- Liquid-handling and microfluidics background
- Code-writing experience, especially in control of discrete system components
- Mechatronics especially on the microscale
- The ability and desire to work alongside life scientists and engineers in a team
- Ability to be creative and work independently when required
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative mentality
- Attention to detail and good manual dexterity