- Closing date 18 Apr 2021
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) has a great opportunity for a Head of Data Science to join us on a permanent full-time (35-hour week) basis. We offer flexibility to initially and occasionally work from home within the UK, provided you can regularly visit our Cambridge office where this role is based.
The Royal Society of Chemistry is the world’s leading chemistry community, advancing excellence in the chemical sciences. The UK’s professional body for chemical scientists with over 45,000 members worldwide, we are a £65m-turnover not-for-profit organisation with over 600 staff operating around the world and an award-winning global knowledge business. We work to shape the future of the chemical sciences – for the benefit of science and humanity.
The RSC recognises the centrality of data and audience intimacy: creating data as an asset across the whole organisation and using the interlinked digital experience as a ‘sensing network’ that will allow us to understand, service and anticipate changes in our audience.
As the Royal Society of Chemistry’s Head of Data Science, you will lead a multidisciplinary team of Data Scientists, Data Engineers and Data Analysts to support our Digital Transformation strategy to develop and deliver core capabilities and achieve strong horizontal alignment across the RSC.
You will use your experience in data strategy leadership and delivery of digital skills to break large, complex problems into modules, overseeing the development of solutions to each component, whilst ensuring tight feedback loops and integrating the solutions into a coherent whole. You will be accountable for successful outcomes, working in close collaboration with end users and stakeholders to ensure that functional priorities are fully aligned with the RSC corporate strategy and priorities.
We are looking for someone with enthusiasm for working collaboratively and the following expertise:
- Demonstrable experience in data strategy leadership and delivery of digital skills, working in a complex business environment.
- Knowledge of statistics.
- Expertise in data modelling techniques and content management systems.
- Experience of different software development methodologies including Agile techniques and continuous delivery.
- Well-organised, self-motivated team player; aptitude for project management.
- Supervisory experience, able to demonstrate ability to motivate a team.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience and the ability to negotiate with stakeholders to quickly resolve customer issues.
- Experience in Cheminformatics.
- Natural language processing and text mining highly desirable.
- Use of R language.
- Graduate calibre or degree in relevant specialist discipline.
The Royal Society of Chemistry offers a competitive remuneration package within the advertised salary range plus excellent benefits.
If you are interested, please apply before the end of the advertised closing date.