- Closing date 31 Aug 2018
As part of the Schneider Electric organisation, Spiral Software has a strong development focus, with over two thirds of our staff in software development roles. We provide industry-leading technology for the process industries, focusing in particular on the oil and petrochemicals sector.
We are committed to maintaining and building our technology lead making significant investments into research and development each year. Our tools are the established industry leader in crude oil selection and refinery modelling, allowing our clients to make optimal use of available feedstock while maximising safety and minimising environmental impact.
They play a business critical role for over 70 companies, including all the oil majors. Our new supply chain toolset, launched in 2010, expands the scope of our tools into a much broader market. A strong development roadmap will add further modules for scheduling and logistics management as well as addressing other process industries, such as food & beverage, chemicals, mining and pharmaceuticals.
Spiral offers a range of desktop- and web-based products which are delivered to client companies as client hosted or Software as a Service (SaaS) solutions. The SaaS infrastructure is managed in-house and includes a server farm based at facility in Cambridge and various other cloud-based resources.
Our benefits package includes a discretionary annual bonus scheme, a share incentive plan, a competitive contributory pension scheme, private health and dental cover, life insurance cover, and high-speed broadband at home.
The Spiral IT Operations Team is responsible for:
- Providing IT services for the Schneider Electric Software GB business with a focus on the infrastructure and applications that support the R&D and SaaS environments
- Design, setup and maintenance of Spiral’s internal infrastructure, including servers, network fabric, client desktop and laptops
- Design, setup and maintenance of Spiral’s internal software platform including domain, core services, client operating systems and tools
- Design, setup and maintenance of Spiral SaaS resources and delivery platform
- Helpdesk and user support for Spiral employees
Spiral is currently recruiting for a Team Lead for the IT Operations Team. The role responsibilities will include:
- Maintain and improve IT services for infrastructure, user support and R&D applications
- Recruitment, training and professional development for the team
- Ownership and management of IT infrastructure projects
- Hands-on involvement in the execution of IT support tasks
- Procurement including computer hardware, software licensing and asset management
- Work with business leaders to develop IT strategy for R&D and Customer Facing services
Leading the members of the IT Operations Team, you will be responsible for this range of areas. You will need to be bright and enthusiastic and your inter-personal as well as technical fault-finding, troubleshooting and problem solving skills are of the utmost importance with respect to fulfilling this role.
Interacting closely with business leaders, you will help plan and drive the IT strategy to meet Spiral IT needs now and in the future, planning for growth in the areas you identify and planning to take advantages of the latest technological developments to maintain Spiral’s IT advantage.
We are looking for applicants who have a strong academic record with a degree in a technical, engineering or scientific subject combined with experience in technical and managerial roles. Applicants must have a broad level of general IT knowledge but also be able to demonstrate several areas of expertise. A strong interest in IT, computing hardware, cloud services and software development is highly desirable.
A strong technical background, good communication skills and problem solving abilities are essential. Successful applicants will be flexible, self-motivated and will work well as part of a team.
- Degree in IT, scientific, engineering or mathematical subject
- Experience of managing, growing and motivating a team effectively
- Experience of managing a Microsoft stack corporate IT environment, including server operating systems, firewall, intrusion prevention, backup, anti-virus and remote access systems
- Experience of managing supplier relationships
- Strong understanding of computer hardware and software systems, including server applications
- Experience of managing secure environments and service segregation, including externally facing web applications, DMZs, and firewalls
- Experience of managing multi-site Active Directory and multiple AD Forests including Microsoft Server 2008 R2 , Windows 7 and above
- Experience of operational automation using PowerShell and/or PowerShell DSC
- Experience with Lync\Skype for Business Communications system, including Enterprise Voice and integration with Exchange
- Experience of Microsoft Hyper-V
- Experience of maintaining and securing perimeter SMTP systems
- Experience of SharePoint
- Experience of Team Foundation Server
- Experience of high-availability, clustering, resiliency and disaster-recovery technologies
- Experience with WSUS administration, patch approval and deployment
- Experience of Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience with Nagios based Monitoring Systems
Our benefits package includes a discretionary annual bonus scheme, a share incentive plan, a competitive contributory pension scheme, BUPA health and dental cover, life insurance cover, and high-speed broadband at home.
We go to great lengths to maintain a friendly and comfortable work environment, including a fully-stocked, complimentary kitchen and drinks room, and a pool table. Combined with a continuous stream of interesting and challenging work, these have enabled us to sustain a happy workplace and very low staff turnover.
Diversity is our heritage and our future. Be a part of it.
At Schneider Electric, Diversity & Inclusion is at the heart of our organisation, it’s an integral part of our history, culture and identity. We recognise that embracing diversity unlocks innovation and creativity and fosters collaboration. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of our communities and the customers we serve. As a result, our teams are stronger to drive the company’s future.
Please apply online.
The Schneider Electric industrial software business and AVEVA have merged to trade as AVEVA Group plc, a UK listed company. The Schneider Electric and Life is On trademarks are owned by Schneider Electric and are being licensed to AVEVA by Schneider Electric.