- Closing date 3 May 2022
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
As Senior informatician your main role is to drive the product research and services and breath biopsy test programmes via data processing, data analysis and data interpretation of mass spectrometry data for biological samples used for biomarker discovery and validation.
You need to develop, execute and sanity check informatics work independently and skilfully with a high level of proactivity. You need to actively seek to understand project-wide issues and contribute with ideas openly and clearly to the company’s programme and departments.
You need to expand your bioinformatics / chemoinformatics knowledge through appropriate development and proactively develop awareness of these advances through discussion and presentations and actively seek to broaden your understanding of other areas of the business.
Key Tasks & Accountabilities
- Develop, process, analyse and evaluate quantitative GC / LC mass spectrometry data for untargeted and targeted metabolomics and breathomics studies.
- Develop and review quantitative workflows and data structure to efficiently integrate and/or develop automated data processing, analysis and visualization protocols, with appropriate infrastructure and pipeline management tools.
- Develop, combine and review open-source and/or commercially available software tools for enabling features identification & annotation in biological samples.
- Drive effective collaboration with clinical scientists, biologists, statisticians and data scientists to design and deliver robust and impactful studies, via data processing and analysis. This could include analysis of mass spectrometry data in conjunction with other data types.
The following competences form the core strength of information science department, you will have an in-depth knowledge, and be able to demonstrate experience in applying these competences in your daily activities:
- Data processing - The ability to conduct, objective, logical, and systematic method of data processing of samples of interests to permit the accumulation of reliable knowledge.
- Data management - Understanding the pertinency of the data collection, data entry and verification process and data management systems
- Dissemination of findings - The ability of reporting results using the various dissemination formats available for different target audiences. Understands the importance of clear communication adapted in a manner suitable for the audience
- Analysis - Has the ability to perform routine and non-routine analysis and understands when the applied data processing and data analysis methods are fit-for-purpose and what associated quality control are required to produce high quality data.
- Critical evaluation of data - Has the ability to evaluate and ensure the accuracy of data as well as spot real and false trends to provide an answer with confidence to either fulfil a customer contract or research question.
- Documentation - Has the ability to write high quality documentation and able to clearly record procedures and processes to allow standardisation and dissemination of knowledge across the company.
- Development - Has the capability to engage in continuing professional development focused on supporting goals and deliveries and allow the business to build upon the knowledge gained from development.
- Responsibility - Has relevant understanding of the responsibilities associated with the professional, ethical, legal and security aspects of informatics data in the workplace.
- Teamwork - Has the ability to drive effective teamwork to accomplish a common scientific goal and to meet company deliveries
Education / Training
- BS / MS / PHD, or equivalent in bioinformatics, chemoinformatics, metabolomics, analytical chemistry, computer science or life sciences.
Experience / Knowledge
- Experience with common software packages for data processing of metabolomics data (e.g. Bioconductor packages, XC-MS, Thermo Compound Discoverer, Thermo Chromeleon, Agilent Mass Hunter Quant, Agilent MPP etc).
- Proven experience in pre-processing and pre-treatment of mass spectrometry data in the context of untargeted and targeted analysis.
- Good understanding of Bioinformatics and / or chemoinformatics tools.
- Experience in relevant coding languages such as Python, R or Matlab.
- Effective communication and interpretation of experimental results to relevant stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in the core competency areas: mass-spectrometry based -omics, multivariate and/or high dimensional data analysis (-omics).
- Basic understanding of chemistry, biology, cell biology, and human physiology.
- Experience in structural elucidation using mass spectrometry data would be an advantage.
- Some understanding of SQL/NoSQL databasing and software versioning tools (e.g. Git/Github).
- Experience in other molecular profiling technologies or multi-omics would be an advantage.
- Formal education in analytical chemistry would be an advantage.
- Good communication
- Influencing and negotiation
- Team working
- Problem solving