- Closing date 27 Jul 2021
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
Vacancy: Scientist – Bioprocessing
Location: UK – Cambridge
Job Family: R&D
Together for a cleaner, healthier world.
At Johnson Matthey we are inspired by our vision for a world that’s cleaner and healthier, today and for future generations. We harness our leading-edge science and technology to deliver value for our customers and breakthrough results that enhance lives.
It’s an environment to bring out our best – where empowerment and support go hand in hand with stretch and challenge. Where difference matters and all voices are heard; be empowered to deliver, learn and grow.
We have a new opportunity for a Scientist to join our Bioprocessing Team based in Cambridge. The Scientist will be operating, de-risking and supporting the scale-up of fermentation and downstream processes. They will be responsible for driving commercial inhouse and CMO campaigns to produce recombinant enzyme products from microbial expression systems whilst ensuring internal process understanding and manufacturing excellence efforts.
- Safe operation of pilot scale production equipment, including fermenters, homogenisers, filtration rigs and lyophilisers
- Execution of in-process analytics (Enzyme activity assays, growth metrics) to monitor Bioprocesses and enzyme products
- Contributing to process development & experimental designs which support group development goals and undertaking corresponding lab work, working in team settings & independently within generally defined project direction
- Complete inhouse process development, optimisation & data collection to support successful technology transfer processes to external bodies
- Identify and problem-solve equipment and process robustness issues, co-ordinating pilot scale equipment maintenance, liaising and arranging visits with service and repair engineers
- Keeping abreast of innovations within the field of fermentation, bringing new technologies to the team when applicable and looking for opportunities to protect innovation through IP generation
- Contributing to the preparation of SOPs, HSE documentation, experiment and batch record write ups and presentation of results in group settings
- Drive HSE compliance through risk assessment, COSHH etc. writing and liaising with the company HSE manager
Are you the ideal candidate?
You will have:
- A master’s or PhD degree in Life Sciences or equivalent industrial experience
- Experience of routine operation & maintenance of pilot scale or bench-top fermentation equipment
- Ability to communicate and work collaboratively with key stakeholders within the business and to work closely and effectively with team members to manage pilot scale workloads
- Knowledge of working with GMO’s and HSE containment measures
- Ability to identify and mitigate risks associated with bioprocessing activities
- Experience of bioprocess development including downstream processing of microbial biomass (desirable)
- Experience of enzyme assay development and analytics (desirable)
How to apply:
If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online. For any queries or should you require any reasonable adjustments to support your application please contact UKRecruit@matthey.com.
Closing date for applications: 27 July 2021
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.