- Closing date 31 Dec 2023
- Type Internship
- Duration Temporary
We are looking for an enthusiastic engineering student to join the Global Medical Technologies Group within the Electronics & Software department. By joining the team, you will have the opportunity to work on innovative products and learn not only about RF & electronics design but also the challenges faced in medical device development.
For over 60 years, Cambridge Consultants has worked at the cutting edge in developing products for our clients that are often pushing the boundaries of physics and leading the way for future technologies. At Cambridge Consultants we work on a wide range of projects, the medical team is no exception with projects spanning the full range of the electrical & electronics engineering industry.
Cambridge Consultants’ interns are extremely important to our business, we pride ourselves on the quality of our mentoring, training, and support. We believe in guiding aspiring interns, enabling them to grow and develop into the world class engineers of tomorrow.
What you’ll do
Successful applicants will join the multi-disciplinary medical development team, jumping into technical challenges while learning from and supporting senior engineers across the division.
Opportunities you will have include:
- Design and implement your own printed circuit boards
- Acquire/Enhance your knowledge of RF and antenna design fundamentals to real market products
- Acquire/Enhance experience in electromagnetic modelling using tools such as CST/HFSS
- Acquire experience performing measurements in our anechoic chamber
- Contribute to innovation in workshops and technical reviews
- Analyse experimental data and develop conclusions influencing key decisions
- Be part of your own technical project in an area you are passionate about
- Learn soldering techniques for modern-sized components
- Gain experience with printed circuit board design, including the use of ECAD packages such as Altium
- Responsible for various RF & electronics design tasks on multi-disciplinary projects, working within a team of engineers.
- Writing of technical documentation, for example, technical analyses, test plans and reports, or description of the design and its operation.
- Support of engineering team with RF and Antenna design and simulations, developing suitable experimental setups for RF testing and control of laboratory test equipment.
- Presentation of technical work to other team members as well as non-technical audiences.
- Managing your time between different project commitments according to deadlines and agreed priorities.
What you can bring
- Good academic record and studying for a degree within a relevant subject such as electronics, electrical, software, RF, physics or computer science, and be on a course which allows you to take an industrial placement year.
- Hands-on experience with electronics lab equipment and soldering tools
- Understanding of electronics fundamentals
- An interest in RF, Antenna design principles and RF Test Equipment
We are particularly interested in candidates with a proven interest in and knowledge of RF system design and RF circuit design so a covering statement highlighting why you’re interested in RF would be advantageous, although not a necessity.
Interns gain invaluable hands-on experience by working alongside our staff on real projects. It’s also a chance to show us what you can do – internships can sometimes lead to the offer of a full-time job once you’ve completed your studies, therefore we invite applications from people who may be interested in applying for a full time job with us after their degree.
Some of our excellent benefits include a good salary (pro-rata), free canteen - lunches and refreshments, flexible working hours, and access to the social committee.