- Closing date 25 Jan 2021
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
Oxford Gene Technology (OGT) provides world class genetic research solutions to leading clinical and academic research institutions. We are a rapidly growing company with state-of-the-art facilities and over 100 employees based at our Cytocell® office in Cambridge and our head office in Oxford. With customers in over 60 countries worldwide and ambitious expansion plans, we have a strong reputation and increasing share in the large and growing genomic medicine market.
An opportunity has arisen for a Research Assistant to support the R&D team which is responsible for all research and development activity within the organisation.
Reporting to R&D Manager, you will undertake a range of tasks and activities, such as new product and process development, design reviews, performing product investigations, taking part of internal and external audits.
Your tasks will be to:
- Support with the introduction of new products, technologies and methodologies which either increase existing efficiencies or expand the product portfolio
- Assist with finding solutions to scientific and technical problems in the Company as they arise
- Plan and conduct experiments, analyse results and when required present progress to the R&D team
- Write experimental methods and results in Company laboratory notebooks using Quality guidelines and in a logical and concise manner that can be used in future as reference material
- Keep up to date with relevant scientific and technical developments and to disseminate any new information which may benefit the Company
- Produce all required documents for relevant technical transfers
- Adhere to procedures documented in the Cytocell and OGT quality management system
- Be qualified to a minimum of BSc or equivalent in a biological-related discipline
- Have demonstrable experience of molecular biology techniques, such as Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and Fluorescent in-situ Hybridisation (FISH) (desirable)
- Have an understanding of fluorescent labelling of DNA and bacterial manipulations, culturing for the extraction of DNA to make FISH probes
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment (desirable)
- Have the ability to work to deadlines, as part of a team, in an occasionally high-pressure environment
- Be a strong team player, with good communication skills and attention to detail
- Have a proactive and inquisitive approach with the interest and ability to solve problems
Due to the nature of the projects, this role is suited to somebody who is highly organised and will take pride in delivering high-quality R&D work whilst suggesting process improvement to increase efficiency.
In return you will receive:
- Competitive salary
- Pension Scheme (10% non-contributory)
- Private Health Insurance
- 21 days holiday rising with service
- High Street Discount Scheme
Application is via CV & a one-page covering letter outlining your suitability for the role, salary expectations and confirming you have the right to work in the UK to [email protected]
Closing date for applications is 25 January 2021.
No agencies please