- Closing date 30 Nov 2021
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
The Supplant Company is a University of Cambridge start-up, a graduate of the Y-Combinator accelerator program, and is backed by major VCs in the US and Europe. We are an innovative and dynamic ingredient company, creating products to address major health and environmental challenges in the global food system, and beyond. Our core product, Supplant™ sugars from fiber, allows the creation of food products that are healthier for people and planet.
The company is seeking an experienced Research & Development Manager - Food Ingredients with a background in food science, product development and manufacturing to coordinate and lead activity across its food science, quality and regulatory, as well as intellectual property teams.
Our preferred candidate will have: i) a deep understanding of underpinning science with an aptitude for quickly picking up new technical concepts, ii) 7+ years' experience working across various commercial food science functions from laboratory to manufacturing, including quality and regulatory aspects, and experience of developing and protecting intellectual property iii) have simultaneously line managed several teams covering different technical disciplines.
The role will be based at the company’s offices and laboratories on the Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, UK with periodic travel to customer manufacturing facilities in Europe and North America. The anticipated salary for the role is £55,000 - £70,000 dependent on the extent to which candidates meet the requirements outlined in the job description and their experience.
As R&D Manager – Food Ingredients you will report to the Head of Research and your key duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Manage a growing internal team of scientists and quality specialists, as well as external service providers, to meet the company’s food ingredient and product commercialisation objectives.
- Provide scientific and technical process support for both the site laboratories & business development teams and be the key contact for technical customer support queries.
- Lead the internal quality and regulatory department to ensure ingredients used in food applications meet statutory and customer acceptance standards.
- With senior team, lead on planning, design and execution of food ingredients related Research & Development projects.
- Engage with industry experts on relevant topics and working alongside Science & Process, Analytical and Business Development teams to understand the strategic direction of the team’s research.
- Apply scientific principles to build knowledge about our food ingredients including their properties, methods of their use at scale and properties of products made with them. Develop and implement new chemical and physical characterisation methods, processing techniques and product analyses.
- Compile specifications and information for ingredient optimisation and proactively look for potentially unforeseen improvements.
- Proactively contribute to the development, and oversee management of, the company’s Intellectual Property portfolio.
- Analyse & present the team’s results both in writing and orally to update senior management.
- Ensure all work is performed in line with company’s SHE policies and lead the development of the company's SHE practices for food laboratories and manufacturing facilities.
Candidates should have / be:
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience working across various commercial food science functions from laboratory to manufacturing, including quality and regulatory aspects, and experience of developing and protecting intellectual property.
- Proven experience of effectively managing teams with strong project management & leadership skills. Ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously to deliver against tight deadlines and to contribute both as part of a team and individually.
- Analytically minded, excellent attention to detail and strong diagnostic skills, with experience of technical report preparation and delivering presentations to various audiences.
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent, with a scientific and/or technical background. Deep understanding of food science, quality & regulatory and intellectual property principles.
- Working knowledge and training in various aspects relating to SHE, e.g. IOSH / NEBOSH.
- Evidence of ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Passion for disruptive technologies, products and making a difference.
- Strong work ethic - prepared to put in extra hours when then are really needed.
- Salary: £55,000-70,000 for the right candidate, dependent on experience and extent to which the job specification is met.
- Options package.
- Full-time permanent position – 37.5 hours / week.
- Company pension plan (Royal London).
- 31 days annual leave (including Bank Holidays).
- Work on the prestigious Cambridge Science Park.
- We look to grow our employees with the business.
This is a unique opportunity to join the team at a very exciting stage of the company's growth.