- Closing date 12 Nov 2021
- Type Full-time
- Duration Temporary
We are looking for a Placement Student to join our RDCUK team who are responsible for the development of new applications for Sysmex diagnostic technology through transitional research on biological samples.
This placement opportunity expected to commence on or around July 2022 for 8 to 12 weeks and is aimed at students who are currently completing or have completed their second year at university.
Reporting to our R&D Centre Head, you will be involved in, and will contribute to, the research and development of new diagnostic projects. This role will provide experience and training in a variety of biological projects.
Your duties will include:
- Conducting research on biological projects such as Molecular staining and cell imaging, DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, RT-PCR, real-time PCR and nucleic acid analysis
- Development of immune-based assays for protein measurement in clinical samples
- Validation of diagnostic biomarkers using clinical samples
- Experimental design and implementation of laboratory work
- Monitoring relevant scientific literature
- Assisting with the day to day running of the laboratory, including maintaining experimental and laboratory records, including those required by legislation e.g., Human Tissue Act
- Maintaining a safe working environment in the laboratory
- Ensuring adequate supplies of laboratory consumables and appropriate waste handling
- Complying with all the company policies such as health and safety and information security
- Ensuring all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), COSHH and other documents are understood and complied with
You will be:
- Currently completing or have completed your second year at university in a biologically relate scientific discipline.
- Motivated and enthusiastic with good attention to detail
- Good computer literacy including scientific data analysis and graphical presentation
- An effective communicator both in writing and verbally
- A team player who is able to work well with others
- Highly organised with excellent attention to detail
Laboratory experience in cell and molecular biology protocols with advanced skills in data analysis e.g., statistics, programming, machine learning and artificial intelligence is desirable for this role.
This role involves contact with and exposure to human tissue therefore seropositive immunisation against Hepatitis B is required. A free vaccination will be offered.
In return you will receive:
- Competitive salary
- High Street Discount Scheme
Application is via CV & a one-page covering letter to email@example.com outlining your suitability for the role, salary expectations and notice period. Please note that we will need to establish your right to work in the UK during the recruitment process.
Closing date for applications is 12 November 2021
No agencies please