- Closing date 31 Mar 2018
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B by 2020. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath, we are looking for additional data scientists with experience in metabolomics/biomarker discovery to join the team.
About the Job
Your objective would be to work within our multidisciplinary teams to determine potential breath-based biomarkers for disease.
The role would require you to carry out exploratory data analysis on breath and patient data as part of the biomarker discovery process, as well as contributing to the development of the analytical software we are developing.
The role can be based either in our London office or in our Cambridge office.
You will have an MSc or PhD in Bioinformatics, Chemometrics, Analytical Chemistry or similar, and will be able to demonstrate:
- Experience with exploratory analysis of large, high-dimensional, noisy data sets, ideally including experience with GC-MS data
- Proficiency in a programming language such as R or (ideally) Python
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to explain technical concepts clearly, both verbally and in writing
- Some experience in data cleaning
In addition, you will be able to offer one or more of the following:
- Experience in data visualization and excellent data presentation skills
- Exposure to metabolomics biomarker discovery methodologies
- Experience of statistical treatments of demographic data
- Some experience of feature extraction and classification
- Understanding of common pitfalls with biomarker discovery and how to avoid them
- Track record of writing papers as evidenced by publications or submitted manuscripts in high quality journals
Most importantly, we are looking for people who can figure out what the right problem to tackle next is and who can show us that they get stuff done. Don’t just tell us, show us what you’ve accomplished.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.