- Closing date 16 Jan 2022
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) has a great opportunity for a Legal Services Solicitor to join us on a permanent full-time (35-hour week) basis.
With over 45,000 members and an international publishing and knowledge business, the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) is the UK’s professional body for chemical scientists, supporting and representing our members and bringing together chemical scientists from all over the world.
The RSC is a charitable company with an annual turnover of £65m. The RSC group includes UK trading subsidiaries and international subsidiary companies registered in India, China, Japan and the USA. Annual spend on supplies and services is circa £32m. The RSC conducts a range of charitable activities in the UK and globally.
This role is based within our Legal Services Team, reporting to our Legal Services Manager. Our Legal Services Team is directly involved in and responsible for all the legal aspects of the RSC’s activities, supporting all directorates including publishing, education, technology, marketing, events and sales.
As a Legal Services Solicitor for the RSC, you will work collaboratively with internal clients to ensure that tasks are carried out and coordinated efficiently. Through your professional, confident and diligent manner, you will display exceptional communication skills in working with internal and external clients, primarily in the UK and globally as required. Your excellent organisational skills, ability to prioritise your workload and high attention to detail will enable you to undertake your day to day role with minimal supervision.
We are looking for:
- Newly qualified (“NQ”) Solicitor with relevant experience gained in private practice or in an in-house setting (NQ-three years’ post qualification experience as a guide). (Experienced Fellow Chartered Legal Executive (FCILEX) or a Practising Barrister will be considered.)
- Experience in drafting, review and advising upon commercial contracts with a working knowledge of commercial contract issues (including contract validity, data protection, intellectual property rights, termination and liability issues).
- Experience of advising upon compliance and regulatory matters.
- Efficient and competent in the use of ICT systems and information including MS Office and Outlook, Zoom and Teams, as well as research tools.
- Experience in one or more areas of law including Publishing, Procurement, Charity, Technology, Trade Marks & Copyright, Property and / or Wills & Probate.
- Experience in using legal case and matter management systems.
The Royal Society of Chemistry is a great organisation to work for and offers excellent benefits. The contractual base for this role is our Cambridge office, however we are currently piloting hybrid working, and you may be able to work from a location other than this, as agreed with your line manager. Applicants should be aware that there is an expectation that employees will attend the offices as needed for their role, and that permanent working arrangements away from the office may not be agreed in the future. The role may include some days working in our London office with expenses, subject to guidelines on travel.
If you are interested in this great opportunity, please apply before the end of our closing date.
Download the full job description here.