- Closing date 31 Jul 2020
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
At Mogrify, you’ll be joining a passionate and innovative team of world experts whose mission is to transform the future development of life-saving cell therapies using our proprietary direct cellular conversion technology (Rackham et al., Nature Genetics, 2016). Working in a highly dynamic and collaborative environment, you will help to address the challenges associated with efficacy, safety and scalability in the development and manufacture of new cell therapies, making a difference to your colleagues, collaborators and to the patients we serve.
We believe that success is a journey undertaken by aligned individuals who respect and enjoy each other, an ethos that since its inception has enabled Mogrify to redefine what is possible for a newly formed biotech. In 2019, we have raised over $20 million USD funding, established a team with unparalleled track records and received recognition from industry peers for our innovation and potential to be transformative in the discovery and development of new medicines.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a highly skilled and ambitious Intellectual Property Manager. The right candidate will believe nothing is impossible, and that given the right opportunity, their hard work and adaptability will allow them to achieve the highest standards, delivering world-class science, commercial success and patient impact.
At Mogrify, you will:
- Work with the COO and external patent attorneys to develop and implement the Company’s intellectual property strategy.
- Manage communications with and help direct the activities of outside counsel.
- Work with R&D to identify and assess the patentability of new inventions; assist in drafting and reviewing related invention disclosures.
- Review and prepare freedom-to-operate opinions in collaboration with outside counsel, as necessary, in relation to new product ideas and developments coming from the R&D group.
- Assist in the preparation, filing, and prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications, including the preparation of arguments in response to office actions.
- Provide guidance on licensing and business transactions involving intellectual property.
- Provide periodic training to Company employees regarding the protection of intellectual property.
- Maintain, update and set security policies for internal intellectual property.
- Advise senior management on any new laws, regulations or statutes affecting the Company’s intellectual property.
- Review and propose IP expenditure as part of the budgeting process. Manage expenses to budget.
- Combine legal and technical knowledge with business understanding in order to provide high-level guidance.
- Assist with corporate work and other tasks, as needed
- A Ph.D. in a life-science discipline. The field of cell biology is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience managing the preparation and prosecution of patent applications and the conduction of patentability and freedom-to-operate searches, within the life sciences field either in a private organization or a technology transfer office.
- Legal or intellectual property qualification would be valuable but not essential.
Skills and competencies
- Ability to develop strategic and tactical plans necessary to provide a strong IP position for the Company’s technology/products and clearly articulate those plans to senior management.
- Good knowledge of the patent system in the UK, EU and USA.
- Experience in patent searching using various free (google patents, USPTO) and subscription-based tools (e.g. PatSnap, PatBase, Derwent, etc.), and the subsequent review of results.
- Have a strong understanding of the scientific and technological fields that the Company works in.
- Extremely thorough and detail-oriented.
- Ability to accurately and effectively express yourself in writing and orally.
- Possess strong analytical and problem identifying/solving skills.
- Work professionally and confidentially with sensitive material.
- Conscientious, self-motivated and diligent.
- Strong organizational, planning, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills to proactively manage time-sensitive deadlines.
- Strong work ethic and a team player.
How will you be rewarded?
We look for great, not good, rewarding hard work with upper quartile remuneration and a highly competitive benefits package including:
- Contributory pension (8%)
- Health and dental insurance
- Share options scheme
- Income protection
- Life assurance
- 25 Days’ annual leave
How can you apply?
If this sounds like you and you share our core values, and you can also bring something new to our culture, we’d love to share our journey with you. To learn more and apply, please send your CV and a covering letter stating the title of the position you are applying for to [email protected]