- Closing date 27 Jan 2022
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
We are looking for an experienced cheminformatics expert with a background in mass spectrometry to lead our Informatics group. The candidate will be responsible for the line-management, planning and direction for the informatics group. You will be responsible for defining and achieving the strategy for the group, and also be responsible for liaising with both internal and external stakeholders You will be able to act as the technical expert to other parts of the business. As group leader in Informatics you will be reporting to the head of department.
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- Management and Prioritisation
- Be the company expert in the areas of cheminformatics, and related chemometrics.
- Be experienced in explaining complex ideas to and influencing non specialists
- Understand the company objectives and work with other senior managers to establish priorities.
- Take the priorities and work with the informatics group to establish how best to achieve them.
- Scope and plan project work in informatics and information science.
- Communicate regularly findings and issues with other groups and stakeholders
- Running the team
- Grow and sustain a world-class team through recruitment activities, building team culture and training
- Design and deliver internal training in areas of informatics.
- Ensure objectives are understood and realised for the informatics team
- Provide regular, timely support and feedback for all team members.
- Help team members to achieve define and deliver on personnel development plans
Competencies & Behaviours:
The following competences form the core strength of information science department, you will have an in-depth knowledge of these, and be able to demonstrate experience in applying these competences in your daily activities:
- Leadership & professionalism - the ability to empower and inspire others to deliver successful projects and to act in a morally, legally and socially appropriate manner.
- Team Management - the ability to select, motivate, develop and manage teams to achieve specified objectives and to resolve differences and conflicts between them.
- Stakeholder management - the ability to identify and effectively engage with all stakeholders, taking account of their levels of influence and particular interests.
- Development - The capability to engage in continuing professional development focused on supporting goals and deliverables and allow the business to build upon the knowledge gained from development.
- Responsibility - Has relevant understanding of the responsibilities associated with the professional, ethical, legal and security aspects of informatics data in the workplace.
- Dissemination of findings - The ability of reporting results using the various dissemination formats available for different target audiences.
- Teamwork - Has the ability to drive effective teamwork to accomplish a common scientific goal and to meet company deliveries.
Education / Training
- Higher degree (MSc) in cheminformatics related discipline, PhD preferred.
Experience / Knowledge
- Leadership skills.
- Demonstratable experience in leading a scientific team
- Proven background in biomolecular MS analysis, with either publication history or equivalent industrial experience
- Project management experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Confidence and negotiating skills.
- Strong organizational skills to give the team direction.
- Good training experience.
- Strong relationship building
- Team working.
- Competence in R or Python.
- Competence in the design and use of databases.
- Competence in the processing of LC/GC-MS data for analysis using commercial and open-source software.
- Competence in basic statistics.
- Understanding and application of the principles of analytical chemistry.
- Understanding of bioinformatics
- Experience of common software packages for data processing of metabolomics data (e.g., Thermo Compound Discoverer, Thermo Chromeleon, XCMS, Agilent MassHunter Quant and, Agilent MPP etc).
- Experience in automation for of data processing pipelines.