- Closing date 20 Jul 2020
- Type Full-time
- Duration Temporary
The Royal Society of Chemistry is looking for an engaging and successful manager to lead our books team. We have been publishing books since 1968 and have over 1,700 titles in our list, with 1,500 available as eBooks.
This role is based in our Cambridge office , however we have some flexibility around this and home working would be considered.
Reporting to our Director of Publishing, you will be responsible for developing our digital books strategy and business case to transform our books business and to oversee the delivery of ambitious commissioning and publishing targets, and financial management of the associated costs. This role will involve influencing and liaising with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels and across all departments.
The ideal candidate will be a strong commercial business leader with management and strategic thinking skills, excellent decision-making and organisational skills, a proactive style and the ability to use their initiative.
We are looking for:
- Extensive experience of leading the strategic and commercial development of books programmes
- Experience of managing books editorial and production teams or transferable experience from other aspects of academic publishing
- Sound knowledge of budgets, management accounts, and cost management and must be able to apply this knowledge to new business developments, books budgets, and management accounts
- High degree of staff management skill and must apply this to recruitment, training, supervision, motivation and development of staff
- Demonstrable broad range of functional knowledge and awareness of external influences particularly with respect to research and funding trends and books publishing
- Demonstrable business awareness of digital book sales and access models
- Broad knowledge of developments in digital books publishing production systems and processes
- Sound business acumen, strong ability to influence at a senior level and demonstrable negotiation skills
- Understanding of the working of committees, especially Governance Boards, and must manage effective meetings
This role is available on a full-time temporary basis to cover maternity leave.
If this sounds of interest, please apply before the end of our closing date.