- Closing date 25 May 2022
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
Our Analytics team is a diverse group of data scientists from a range of disciplines and backgrounds. We encourage growth through conversation and new ideas and are proud to present data centric metrics to inform business decisions. We work closely with our stakeholders to deliver program requirements, and collaborate with different disciplines, such as systems or mechanical engineers and chemists, to ensure project cohesion.
As a data scientist with technical experience, we require active involvement in the design of analytical strategies, diligent and collaborative execution of analysis tasks, peer review of colleagues' work, and effective presentation of work. All activity underpinned by industry best practice, a rigorous adherence to the scientific method and critical evaluation of models.
- Developing algorithms including ML pipelines that are production level and fully tested
- Developing predictive models and assessing their predictive power
- Assessing and improving the quality of data
- Suggesting next steps for acquiring more powerful data or more informative features
- Present data analysis, techniques employed, and visualisations across the organisation
Working Pattern: The Data Science team work in a flexible and hybrid approach to office and home working. Typically we would suggest your week will be 2-3 days onsite at our Cambridge office where you will work closely with the wider Data Science team. We have a team day on Thursdays, which we would expect the successful candidate to be able to attend onsite.
Interview Process: We will aim to review your application the same week we have received your CV. Following this you will have a series of virtual interviews with technical team members and HR, including a small technical task to complete at home. To enable you to see our Cambridge office, we will schedule with you for one of these interviews to be face to face.
Competencies & Requirements
- Applied statistical experience (clustering, classification/regression, hypothesis testing)
- Programming e.g., python (numpy, pandas, matplotlib/plotly/seaborn, scipy/scikits), R (ggplot, tidyverse)
- Desire to work as part of a collaborative and dynamic team
- Experience working with raw data collected from laboratory and non-laboratory environments and scientific instruments
- Experience engaging with stakeholders (scoping, feedback, presenting findings)
- Experience applying numerical analysis techniques on real world data
- Awareness and experience with widely successful Agile techniques, tools and approaches: Kanban, User Stories, BDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Jira, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games.
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com.