- Closing date 30 Nov 2021
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
The Supplant Company is an innovative and dynamic ingredient company, creating products to address major health and environmental challenges in the global food system and beyond. Its core product, Supplant™ sugars from fiber, allows the creation of food products that are healthier for people and better for the planet.
Supplant is a Cambridge University start-up, a graduate of the Y-Combinator accelerator program and backed by major VCs in the US and Europe.
This is a unique opportunity to join the team at a very exciting stage of company’s growth, offering exposure to both technical and commercial functions of the business. Your key duties as Customer Support Consultant - Food Ingredients will be focused on advising and supporting B2B customers (primarily food manufacturers) in product development, implementation and manufacturing using The Supplant Company’s flagship ingredient, Supplant™ sugars from fiber. Based at our Cambridge, UK site, the role will initially involve working with customers in North America but is expected to evolve to include UK & European partners.
Reporting to, and supported by, the Head of Business Development, your key duties and responsibilities will involve:
- Providing technical expertise, both by email and in calls / meetings, throughout the sales process with prospective and existing customers.
- Where appropriate, conducting benchtop experiments needed to address knowledge gaps to progress customer relationships.
- Supporting the introduction of Supplant™ sugars from fiber into our customers’ manufacturing processes, applying scientific and technical knowledge to troubleshoot challenges, including in-person visits to customer manufacturing sites.
- Working with internal Clinical and Regulatory Affairs team to assist customers with queries on regulatory and safety matters relating to our ingredients, including compiling necessary safety documentation required for external ingredient trials to take place.
- Working closely with internal Food Science and Business Development teams to (1) document feedback from customers to build knowledge of how Supplant™ performs in commercial settings and (2) integrate internal and external learnings on an ongoing basis.
- Analysing results and writing reports summarising findings and conclusions for senior management.
- Presenting results and discussing findings as part of regular company meetings.
Ideally, you will have strong food science / chemistry fundamentals, including >3 years relevant industry experience and/or a post-graduate qualification in a food science related field. You will also have proven track record of working in a pilot / manufacturing environment and interacting with various internal and external stakeholders.
Candidates should have:
- Strong work ethic – prepared to put in extra hours when they are really needed.
- Extensive underpinning scientific knowledge and problem-solving skillset.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral); with evidence of technical writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously to deliver against tight deadlines and to contribute both as part of a team and individually.
- Proven track record of success in past roles, ideally relating to food product development or scale-up / industrial manufacturing of food products using new ingredients or formulations.
- Knowledge of regulatory & safety requirements is advantageous but not essential.
- Passion about The Supplant Company’s mission.
- Competitive salary (£35,000 - 45,000)
- 31 Days Annual Leave (including Bank Holidays)
- Company pension plan (Royal London)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Work on the prestigious Cambridge Science Park
- We look to grow our employees with the business and this position offers the right candidate potential for progression within the team
This is a unique opportunity to join the team at a very exciting stage of the company's growth