- Closing date 31 Mar 2018
- Type Full-time
- Duration Permanent
The role of the tester is generally a varied and challenging one, and this is certainly the case at Cambridge Consultants.
With projects ranging from short 2-3 month technology prototypes to full scale 18month+ product development, the ability to adapt and move quickly is very important to all of our test engineers.
You will often be involved at the very start of a project, using your analytical and questioning skills to test the various concepts, requirements and user journeys even before a line of code is written. Working closely with the development team you will design and create test harnesses and scripts to thoroughly test the products being developed.
You will have the opportunity to advance your own skills through our testing community and the variety of projects you will work on. Your skills will contribute to help grow and evolve the group.
Type of Work
The group carries out test planning, design and testing of all products and works closely with other disciplines to test cutting-edge software, hardware and systems. Development team sizes tend to be small and are made up of highly skilled engineers.
As a test engineer, you need to become aware of all forms of testing. You don’t have to know how to do all of them, but need to appreciate what is required, be willing to learn new skills and coordinate getting it done.
You will be responsible for:
- Perform tests on existing projects and become familiar with testing approaches
- Evaluate existing tests for their effectiveness and modify if necessary as part of the continuous improvement process
- The scoping and design of tests on projects coming into the division
- The design and maintenance of bespoke test harnesses, including test script creation
- Delivery of high-quality code, compliant with our internal coding standards
- Carrying out your specific project tasks within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager
As a graduate you will be supported with specific training and mentoring and as your experience develops, you will have the opportunity take on further responsibilities
To meet the requirements of this role you will have:
- A good degree in a technical / scientific discipline
- Experience of Python (or other languages)
- Good communication skills, inquisitive nature, attention to detail and a keen interest in technology.
In addition, any experience of the following would be advantageous;
- Wireless communications systems
- User interface test techniques (Ethical Hacker / Selenium)
- Issue tracking systems
- Familiarity with hardware such as Raspberry-Pi
- Software development lifecycle