We use cookies on our site to track usage and preferences. Learn more

Haverhill is a market town and civil parish in the county of Suffolk next to the borders of Essex and Cambridgeshire and 14 miles from Cambridge


Haverhill

History Haverhill dates back to at least Saxon times and the town's market is recorded in the Domesday book (1086). Whilst most of its historical buildings were lost to the great fire on 14 June 1667, one notable Tudor-era house remains (reportedly given to Anne of Cleves as part of her divorce from Henry VIII and thus titled Anne of Cleves House) as well as many interesting Victorian buildings. Following a planning review in 1956, Haverhill was targeted for expansion. This was primarily to resettle communities from London which had been devastated during World War II.  As part of this plan, new housing settlements and new factories were built. Nowadays, Haverhill is predominantly a modern and young town, the relatively small town centre is surrounded by many large housing developments, completed at various periods between the 1950s and the present. Recently, it has seen the growth of small, but noticeable Portuguese and Polish communities.
Education Haverhill School Pyramid 
Religion

St Mary’s Parish Church 

River of Life Community Church 

Baptist 

Haverhill Methodist 

St Felix Church 

United Reformed Church 

Sports facilities

Abbeycroft Leisure Centre & Swimming pool 

Bowling Alley 

Golf Club 

Pubs

Flying shuttle 

Rose and Crown 

Accommodation

Travelodge  

Rose and Crown Hotel 

More information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haverhill,_Suffolk

http://www.haverhill-uk.com/

All information displayed on this page is indicative and correct at the time of posting. This information is displayed as a guide only. Please seek independent advice on any information listed