Haslingfield

Haslingfield is a village and civil parish in South Cambridgeshire, 6 miles from Cambridge with a population of 1550


haslingfield

History Haslingfield is a village and civil parish in South Cambridgeshire, 6 miles from Cambridge with a population of 1550. Haslingefeld appears in the Domesday book with a population of 400, but there is archaeological evidence of people living in the vicinity 3,000 years ago. An Anglo-Saxon cemetery was discovered in the 1870s on Cantelupe Road, but unfortunately not carefully excavated. The name Haslingfield is thought to be derived as follows: -field is an Anglo-Saxon suffix meaning cleared land in site of woods, while Hasling probably derives from the Haeslingas, a local band of people that lived here. The economy of the community has been based on farming for most of its existence. There was a short period of mining for coprolite, used to make fertilizer in the late 19th century. The Earl De La Warr sold his estates in Haslingfield to John Chivers who planted fruit for his jam-making factory in Histon.
Education

Haslingfield Primary School 

Comberton Village College 

Religion

All Saints’ Church 

Methodist Church

Sports facilities

Recreation Ground 

Village Hall 

Pubs Little Rose 
More information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haslingfield

http://haslingfieldvillage.co.uk/

All information displayed on this page is indicative and correct at the time of posting. This information is displayed as a guide only. Please seek independent advice on any information listed