Great Chesterford is a medium sized village and civil parish in the Uttlesford district of Essex.
|History||Great Chesterford is a medium sized village and civil parish in the Uttlesford district of Essex. The land around Great Chesterford has been inhabited for centuries, and there have been many archaeological finds e.g. Bronze Age beakers, Belgic pottery and jewellery, and many Roman artefacts which can be found in both Saffron Walden and Cambridge museums. In the 1st century AD, a Romano-British civil settlement was established near the river, occupying an important site en route between London, Cambridge and Newmarket. After the Romans left, it was presumed that there was continuity of occupation through the Saxon period, probably outside the Roman town. It was probably the location of a Saxon minster church but the only actual evidence of Saxon occupation is found in the burial sites. Medieval development was in the centre of the village. The name Chesterford is first mentioned in a document in 1004, and again in 1086 in the Domesday Book. In 1459 the Rector Thomas Hyll endowed a charity for the benefit of needy parishioners. This still exists today|
|Education||Great Chesterford Primary Academy|
|Religion||All Saint’s Parish Church|
|Accommodation||The Crown House Hotel|
All information displayed on this page is indicative and correct at the time of posting. This information is displayed as a guide only. Please seek independent advice on any information listed