Cottenham is a village in Cambridgeshire close to the Fens. There are numerous small businesses. Bus services link the village to both Cambridge and Ely.
|History||Before the fens were drained in the 19th century Cottenham was on the last contour before the waterlogged marshes, with Ely being the nearest dry land around 12 miles (19 km) to the north-east. The village of Cottenham fell victim to a great many fires over the centuries, but none so devastating as that which occurred on 4 April 1850. Starting in the High Street around 8.30 in the evening, the flames spread rapidly and though there was no loss of human life "a vast quantity of poultry and pigeons and a good many pigs were destroyed." Forty to fifty cottages burnt down as well as the Black Horse and White Horse inns and the Wesleyan Chapel which was housed in a barn on what is now Telegraph Street.|
All information displayed on this page is indicative and correct at the time of posting. This information is displayed as a guide only. Please seek independent advice on any information listed