Cambridge Consultants houses one of the most advanced medical device development and technology consulting teams in the world. Significant growth of our Medical Technology Division and global client base over the last few years means that we are now looking for an experienced, ambitious and enthusiastic professional, with a track record of building lasting client relationships, to join our senior client facing team.
Focused on developing and growing one or more of our most strategically important multinational accounts, you will work as part of the Medical Technology Division’s Global Key Account Management team and operate within our Global Drug Delivery business. Your responsibility will be to develop, nurture and grow enduring relationships with your accounts in order to deliver substantial and sustainable sales streams. Representing the full breadth of Cambridge Consultants’ expertise, you will organize and motivate account focused teams to ensure the client’s needs are understood and met by the Company. To support you in doing this you will have access to world class technical and scientific resources together with excellent facilities including our fully equipped analytical and development labs, class II biolabs, manufacturing and prototyping facilities and proprietary IP portfolio.
As a Strategic Account Manager You will need to have an excellent understanding of the market in which your accounts operate, the market drivers and trends, the regulatory environment, the influence of technology and how each impacts on your account’s business needs. Your relationships within your target accounts and understanding of their business needs will be critical to success, as will your ability to clearly communicate account needs to internal account teams and align the Company’s services accordingly. It is likely that to achieve the strategic account planning and account development activities envisaged, you will need to have a strong commercial and/or technical track record in the drug delivery device field combined with experience of consultative selling in a professional services company.
Type of work undertaken by the Division
Our Medical Technology business provides exceptional product design and development services from strategy and initial opportunity definition, through needs identification, concept creation and prototype development to transfer to production. Projects often include considerable technical, user and commercial challenge.
The position will be focused on clients in our Global Drug Delivery business.
As Manager of one or more of our key account relationships you will be responsible for developing account strategy, forming and motivating an internal account team, communicating, reporting and delivering on account strategy and delivering on agreed account development and sales targets. You will be responsible for the overall relationship with the account and maximising its potential across the whole of Cambridge Consultants’ business.
To do this you will be expected to:
- Understand and qualify the account’s needs to determine fit with Cambridge Consultants’ services
- Organise and motivate an internal account team and manage its account development activities
- Build productive and enduring relationships with key buying influences, individually and through your account team(s)
- Introduce Cambridge Consultants’ new and existing capabilities to the account
- Coordinate business development activities within the account team to identify and develop a pipeline of opportunities in the account resulting in significant sales
- Make a personal contribution to account sales
- Assess and manage the account’s ongoing potential
- Work with our business sector and marketing communications teams to target and deliver marketing activities relevant to the account
- Establish and implement a communication plan with the account
- Provide account insight and business development support to bid teams during commercial discussions and resulting projects
- Direct account strategic planning, create and maintain an overall account plan and contribute to Division and where appropriate, Corporate business planning
- Manage and distribute account information within Cambridge Consultants
- Facilitate internal investment activities for account development
Where appropriate, you will also use your strong commercial and technical skills to make a significant contribution to the overall direction and delivered quality of development projects, often working on more than one concurrently.
This position will be based in our Cambridge, UK office, however the successful applicant will need to support our clients and business on a global basis spanning the North American, European and South East Asian markets. The applicant should expect regular domestic and international travel.
To meet the demanding requirements of this role you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A broad understanding of the pharmaceutical marketplace, and in particular the role drug delivery devices play, the players, the products and clinical context
- Experience of successful client relationship development in a consulting or similar environment
- Established level of experience in strategic selling or strategic account development
- Proven success in developing business and senior relationships in the Pharmaceutical/Drug Delivery or broader Medical Products sector
- A track record in developing and maintaining long term partnership relationships with key target accounts
- Experience in design and development of medical products, the regulatory environment and/or relevant consulting services
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Both a technical and commercial mindset with at least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline or in the physical sciences
- Diligence, structure and rigor in planning and communication
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees’ careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences.