Continuous Integration Test Engineer – with a software development background and a passion for test and verification of large systems, you will design test programmes, design and manage CI systems, influence system architecture to enable efficient test, and help debug system issues, working with software and system engineers to design, build, deploy and support software deliverables for our clients.
Main purpose of the job
An opportunity to take a leading technical role in our test process and systems, working closely with our embedded, algorithm, data, and server teams to deploy validated systems. Working with system leads you will take responsibility for the definition, architecture, implementation and operation of automated test, including working with developers and our client engineering teams.
Key skills for the role include expertise in designing integration and system tests in a cross disciplinary environment, as well as an ability to work with a variety of team members to ensure robust solutions. Working principally in Python using Continuous Integration, you will have software implementation experience as well as experience of designing test systems.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
Cambridge Consultants undertakes over 300 cutting edge technology, design and consulting projects every year. The ICE Division focusses on three markets:
- Industrial – sensors, robotics and logistics systems for manufacturing and retail clients
- Consumer – smart dispensing systems and connected sensor systems for personal care, food & beverage and sports & fitness brands
- Energy – sensing & communications systems for downhole and subsea oil & gas applications and smart metering systemsWe combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to manufacture, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, innovation and R&D processes.You will be a member of the Software Technologies group, which offers application layer software engineering and computer science skills, from real time and embedded software for standalone or connected devices, through to server side analytics frameworks, including system design, algorithm optimisation, and digital security and authentication. The group designs groundbreaking products for clients at the heart of the ‘internet of things’.We take pride in the commercial success that our clients enjoy as a result of working with us. There will be the opportunity to further your career not just technically, but also in the fields of business development, programme management, and innovation – essential ingredients in delivering commercial value.
In this role you will be responsible for :
- Design, Implementation and operation of integration and system test for software systems
- Design of test interfaces between your code and hardware or remote systems
- Delivering high quality, professional code, compliant with the client’s requirements
- Executing project tasks to tight deadlines and rigorous quality standards within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager
- Participating in meetings with clients
- An excellent degree or PhD in Computer Science or a related discipline
- Experience specifying software tests in a regulated environment (security, medical, safety critical, automotive)
- Experience of at least one CI system (e.g. Jenkins, GitLab)
- Experience of production quality software implementation
- Experience of interface definition languages (e.g. Protobuf, YAML)
- Strong communication skills. Ability to explain and defend design and approach, and present technical issues clearly to clients and internal teams
- Experience working with multiple software disciplines (e.g. embedded, server, and design/UX teams)
Any of the following experience would be advantageous :
- Experience of Enterprise Architect or DOORS
- Experience of specific regulatory testing regimes (e.g. ISO13485, MISRA, DO-178)
- Experience of GitLab CI
- Designing test programmes for other disciplines
This role will be subject to UK Security Clearance Vetting procedures.
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.
- Good salary, based on merit and reviewed annually
- Company profit share scheme in addition to basic salary
- Pension scheme
- Life assurance plan
- Private medical insurance
- Travel insurance
- Disability insurance plan
- Free canteen – lunches and refreshments
- 25 days annual holiday plus public holidays
- Relocation assistance if applicable
- Excellent career development and training opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- Social committee