Do you have experience leading design teams and defining technical solutions for complex problems? Are you inspired by a variety of design challenges and achieving order and elegance from complex systems within fast- paced multidisciplinary product development? If so then, come and join our multi specialist mechanical engineering team and enjoy the benefits of working in world class engineering consultancy on a variety of Industrial, Consumer, Energy and Defence devices.
To provide a significant contribution to major fast track industrial, consumer, energy and defence development projects. The position will require you to apply your mechatronics or robotics knowledge in conjunction with a systems engineering approach to the development of world-leading products for our clients around the globe. You will lead and work within multi-disciplinary teams of highly talented people to develop novel solutions to difficult technical problems and you will utilise your significant commercial experience to strengthen current sales activities and contribute directly to the growth of the company.
Type of Work
Cambridge Consultants undertakes over 300 cutting edge technology, design and consulting projects every year.
The ICE Division’s activities fall into four focus areas:
Industrial – sensors, robotics and logistics systems for manufacturing and retail clients
Consumer – smart dispensing systems and connected sensor systems for personal care, food & beverage and sports & fitness brands
Energy – sensing & communications systems for downhole and subsea oil & gas applications and smart metering systems
Defence – secure end-to-end systems for government clients covering sensing, communications, tracking & location, and data analysis
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to manufacture, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.
It is anticipated most of your work will fall within the Industrial focus area however, there will also be opportunity to work in any of the other focus areas.
As a Senior Technical Lead/Consultant in the Mechanical and Analytical Engineering Group, you will be expected to adopt a leading hands-on role in the design and development of innovative and complex mechanical and electro-mechanical systems across the ICE Division’s four main focus areas. On projects you will be the technical leader for the mechatronics or robotics design effort to meet the requirements of the projects as well as providing creative solutions to problems. You may also take a project management role leading the team to deliver the whole programme and a sales role, helping to strengthen our business development activities.
You will have significant commercial and industrial experience and awareness and with regard to technical issues, you will collaborate with both clients and other engineers on projects. Your role will also include using your strong technical expertise to liaise with clients to understand their technical needs and prepare proposals which capture these requirements.
Your specific responsibilities are likely to include:
- Leading design engineers to realise your technical solutions and verifying your designs with solid engineering principles and calculations
- Taking lead roles in creative workshops, generating and visualising your own ideas and those of the team around you
- Preparing technical programmes of work
- Leading the generation and detailed design of innovative concepts and system layouts in 3D CAD
- Design for/transfer to manufacture including tolerance analysis of system designs, review of manufacturing documentation, generation of manufacturing specifications and liaison with external suppliers
- Preparing technical reports and producing high quality design documentation
- Supporting the activities of Business Developers in sales meetings, contributing to project proposals and project planning
- Development of internally funded, novel technologies and presentation at scientific conferences
To meet the demanding requirements of this role you will be a talented, creative engineer, with the ability to solve complex electro-mechanical system problems and design ingenious solutions. You will have a high level of practical experience with proven technical skills, and have spent significant time in an engineering design environment preferably applying a systems engineering approach to development. Applicants should have the following:
- An excellent first degree in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, robotics or a related discipline
- Significant experience in the design of electro-mechanical systems including several of the following:
- Drive systems, Motors, Gearing, Robots
- Measurement and Control Systems, Automation
- Excellent understanding of manufacturing techniques and assembly processes
- Hands on experience of 3D CAD (ProEngineer or Solidworks preferred)
- A genuine passion for engineering
In addition one or more of the following would be beneficial:
- Experience in leading the development of large systems
- Experience of designing for one of the four areas of focus outlined previously
- Excellent understanding of materials selection
- Team leadership or project management experience
- Sales experience (Miller Heiman preferred)
- Postgraduate study in a relevant field
You will be a bright, enthusiastic team player. Good communication skills are essential as a major part of your role will be interaction with clients and multi-disciplinary project teams made up of scientists, engineers and designers