We are looking for a talented embedded software engineer with experience in wireless communication protocols such as Bluetooth and a passion for the front-end aspects like UI and mobile Apps to help us design the next generation of connected Medical Devices.
- Do you want to help deliver better and smarter health care through innovation?
- Are you equally at ease writing embedded software and mobile apps?
- Are you passionate about software development?
- Do you want to be challenged?
We are looking for a talented embedded software engineer with experience in wireless communication protocols such as Bluetooth and a passion for the front-end aspects like UI and mobile Apps. You will join our growing medical software group, working on a variety of connected Medical Devices and contribute to the whole development lifecycle from concept to validation.
Cambridge Consultants Medical Technology Division develops cutting edge medical devices using rigorous processes whilst maintaining an informal and friendly environment. It is a great place to work, encouraging innovation and filled with people with a real passion for excellence in engineering.
The role will require you to specify, design, develop and test embedded software for complex medical systems including mobile platforms for digital health applications.
Many of the systems you will be working on will include some form of digital communication system, as well as various sensors or actuators, thus requiring an all-round engineering knowledge, attention to detail and good team-work skills.
Each project is different, and you will get involved at all stages of the product development lifecycle.
As a senior, we would expect you to be involved in multiple projects simultaneously, taking responsibility for the delivery of the assigned task.
Type of Work
The Medical Software Group is part of the Medical Technology Division which undertakes the development of innovative Medical Devices and In-Vitro Diagnostics equipment from concept to manufacture, often incorporating considerable technical challenges.
The division’s activities fall into four focus areas:
- Drug Delivery, including break through inhalation and injection devices;
- Digital Health, including development of innovative connected solutions for medical devices located both outside and inside the body with the use of novel antenna design, as well as for mobile platforms;
- Surgical and Interventional Products covering sophisticated surgical tool and implantable devices;
- Medical Diagnostics and Instrumentation ranging from over the counter personal diagnostics e.g. digital pregnancy test through to instrumentation for use in hospital laboratories.
Our projects are often multidisciplinary, where software is just one part of larger system and you will work side by side with other talents, such as human factors engineers, optical physicist, electronics and mechanical engineers.
Software development for medical devices follows a rigorous approach guided by standards such as IEC 62304 and streamlined by the use of a suite of software engineering tools and techniques such as continuous integration, static code analysis, test automation and code generation.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical leadership in your area of expertise
- Working within a multidisciplinary team to develop software specifications and test protocols
- Deliver high-quality code, according to specifications
- Deliver high-quality design documentation according to medical regulations
- Perform tests, code reviews, and other quality assurance tasks
- Fast prototyping in support of proof of principle activities
- Carrying out your specific project tasks within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager.
There are many other aspects to the work in addition to design and development, including the participation in work estimation, the presentation of results to clients or the participation in concept-generation sessions.
As your experience develops you will be given the opportunity to take on further responsibilities such as project team leadership or project management.
You will be expected to work on multiple projects at once and the role may include some travel.
To meet the requirements of this role, in addition to an excellent degree in a relevant subject such as software engineering, computer science or electronic engineering, you will have the following core skills:
- Experience with programming on Android and/or iOS platforms
- Good knowledge of C and experience in programming embedded microcontrollers
- Experience with using communication protocols such as Bluetooth or Zigbee
- An understanding of the software development life cycle and related tools and practices such as continuous integration and test driven development
- Good communication and presentation skills
In addition, any experience of the following would be advantageous:
- Experience in developing real time embedded software on bare metal or by means of an RTOS
- An understanding of electronics and interfacing microcontroller with various sensors and actuators
- Experience with .NET programming and Windows programming
- A background in control theory, digital signal processing or computer vision
- A background or experience in system modelling using UML or SysML
- Experience with software development in a regulated industry (such as medical, nuclear or defence)