Are you an innovative mechanical engineer wanting to work at the cutting edge of medical technology? Do you want to be part of a successful multi-disciplinary team working on a broad range of projects including robotics, automation, machine and instrument design? Do you possess excellent design and communication skills? If so, then read on…
Main purpose of the job
A successful Senior Engineer will work alongside other engineering and design disciplines to develop innovative products on behalf of our clients. They will be responsible for defining and developing solutions to engineering problems and communicating those ideas to both internal and external audiences. The role requires a high degree of technical ability and creativity to be able to take a project from initial requirements through to market and the flexibility to adapt to different applications from automated diagnostic instruments to high volume drug delivery devices, and from miniature robotics to assembly equipment.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
The Medical Technology Division undertakes the development of innovative medical devices and equipment from concept to manufacture, often incorporating considerable technical challenges.
The Division’s activities fall into four focus areas:
- Drug Delivery Devices
- Wireless devices / eHealth
- Surgical and Interventional Products
- Medical Diagnostics and Instrumentation
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to market, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.
A Senior Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for elements of the mechanical design across a range of projects – focussing on automation, robotics and rig design and working in a variety of materials. The role will require a mix of technical skills and leadership including the ability to delegate and review the work of others. Strong written and verbal communication skills are vital as the role will involve client interaction and collaboration across disciplines. A successful applicant will be a CAD user, have significant practical skills and a genuine passion for engineering.
- A good (2:1 or above) MEng degree (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering, General Engineering or a related discipline
- Some relevant experience in the field of automation, robotics, machine or instrument design.
- Strong mechanism or drive system design ability
- CAD (preferably SolidWorks or Creo)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Use of Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with, and ability to specify, engineering hardware e.g. motors, pumps, gears
- Practical workshop skills.
It would also be advantageous to have one or more of the following:
- Experience with manufacturing techniques; particularly injection moulding and sheet metal work
- Experience working in a regulated industry
- Project Management experience
- Analytical engineering skills, e.g. Stress Analysis, FEA
- Basic programming.
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.