Would you like to be part of one of the largest independent wireless development teams in the world? The Wireless Software Group is growing, so if you want to create innovative products for a wide variety of clients, Cambridge Consultants is the place for you. We are a team of highly motivated and professional engineers and we’d like you to join us.
We are part of the Wireless Division at Cambridge Consultants and use first-rate engineering processes and tools to develop cutting edge products across diverse markets.
Our informal and friendly environment is a great place to work, offering support and encouraging innovation and where there is real passion for excellent engineering.
Working on Cambridge Consultants’ wireless projects, you will design and write embedded software for complex systems. In most cases this will involve working with one or more software or hardware engineers as part of a multidisciplinary project team.
You may also lead software teams either technically or as a team lead, depending on where your strengths lie. You may also participate in meetings with clients and potential clients from time to time and a small amount of travel may be involved. We define embedded software as software working at the electronics/software boundary and/or in a constrained environment (e.g. tight memory, low power).
Type of Work
The Wireless Software Group develops software for wireless applications. We have particular strengths in low power, low cost radio implementations, with application areas such as telecommunications, healthcare, industrial and consumer goods. We have a significant pre-developed IP library to reduce development time and risk, including mature and proven Bluetooth and DECT protocol stacks.
Recent examples of our work include the complete development of a wireless medical telemetry system and a family of satellite communication units. Both of these examples involved the design and development of new hardware alongside the software development. Further examples include ZigBee and Bluetooth developments, an Air Traffic Control radio system and high value front ends for telecommunications network equipment.
The group carries out software design and architecture, as well as coding, mainly in C and Python.
Team sizes tend to be small and are made up of highly skilled engineers. High quality work is therefore essential from every team member.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- The design, development and test of whole software subsystems, sometimes on more than one project at once
- The design of interfaces between your code and that of other software engineers on the team
- Delivery of high-quality code, compliant with the client’s requirements
- Carrying out your specific project tasks within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager
- Defining regression tests to ensure that your software is robust and complies with the specification
With an appropriate background in embedded software, you will have a good degree in a relevant subject, such as electronic engineering or computer science.
- Experience in embedded software in C
- Experience in communications software
- Understanding of both hardware and software
- Understanding of wireless communications systems
- Understanding of build systems and source control
Experience of the following would be advantageous
- One or more scripting languages
- Web technologies