We inspire change. Our Strategy, Innovation and Process Group helps our clients use technical and commercial insight for strategic advantage. We respond to the challenges our clients face by helping them understand the future impact of technology and adapt their business to capitalise on trends. We create new ways of working that increase innovation success and develop technology portfolios that deliver against ambition.
Cambridge Consultants is one of the world’s leading product development companies, with a reputation for cutting-edge design, development and value creation for a global client base. Our business consultants provide the commercial context for technology developments, making the case for change and bringing ideas into reality.
Main purpose of the job
As a Senior Consultant in the SIP Group, you will take a leading role in our activities in the Industrial, Consumer and Energy (ICE) sectors. You will be responsible for significant personal sales, client initiation and development, key client management and contract negotiation and overseeing successful project delivery.
The role requires credible innovation leadership within a multidisciplinary environment and a close working relationship with other members of the team. Working with the SIP Group Leader and other senior business developers, you will work within a focused team to drive the growth strategy for our business consulting team within the ICE Division.
The role will balance working alongside project managers and technical leads, to take commercial responsibility for the delivery of successful projects, with contributing your own business consulting expertise in one or a number of technology strategy methodologies. You will be both defining and communicating an approach to the client and conveying your knowledge to the rest of the team.
Type of work undertaken by group
We combine highly creative lateral and strategic thinking with excellent commercial and technical skills to form a powerful team. The Strategy, Innovation and Process Group delivers management consultancy and technology innovation projects in the areas of:
- Customer insight, market modelling and business case development
- R&D and innovation process analysis and organisational improvement
- Technology visioning, strategy development and portfolio road-mapping
- IP landscaping and technology evaluation
- Concept generation and innovation management
Our consulting activities are centred primarily in Europe and the US, but with a growing client base in Asia. Project work is usually based in the Cambridge UK office but with regular client workshops on client sites.
You will take responsibility for all aspects of business development for the SIP Group and be a senior contributor to projects where appropriate, working alongside other business development, project management, technical staff and business analysts. Specific responsibilities are:
- Identifying companies that are potential clients for Cambridge Consultants
- Triaging sales opportunities, working with and guiding our technical teams to maximise sales conversion
- Understanding client business and technical needs and communicating these clearly to the team
- Personally close substantial sales
- Developing strong commercial relationships with senior client executives during project delivery to ensure expectation of quality and value of projects is met and shaping further sales opportunities
- Utilising market and methodology knowledge to guide the technical team, informing strategy and internal investments
- Leading marketing activities in your specific area – includes PR, social media, and events
- Interacting with teams across the diverse market and technical base of the division. You will also use your strong business skills to help communicate what Cambridge Consultants can deliver to potential clients. Your technical consulting skills will also help you to make a significant contribution to the overall direction of business strategy projects, often working on more than one concurrently.
You will support the delivery of project work, often to facilitate discussion with senior executives. Your skills and energy will make a significant contribution to the Strategy, Innovation and Process Group.
To meet the demanding requirements of this role you will have a good degree in a relevant field with significant expertise gained in a consulting environment. You will have already been successful in a business strategy, innovation management or an NPI role creating breakthrough products and bringing them to market.
In addition, to be successful in the role you will be expected to:
- Be a highly effective communicator with the ability to write, present and facilitate workshops
- Have excellent team working skills and be able to build and maintain new relationships
- Have a track record in selling significant projects
- Have flexibility, energy and a constructive approach to challenges
- Have an analytical approach with excellent ability to distil results
- Have a well-organised and structured approach/mindset
- Have the ability to support some or all of the type of work undertaken by the group
- Have a positive attitude and maintain a policy of openness
- Uphold the values of Cambridge Consultants, delivering impact and caring for colleagues
- Have a strong CRM focus and be comfortable working at all levels within our client organisations
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees’ careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.