This is your opportunity to design and develop unique radio systems enabling wireless communications in diverse applications from high volume consumer devices to bespoke industrial and defence systems.
We are looking for an exceptional hands-on RF engineer with a firm grasp of the fundamentals to grow our capabilities in this challenging and exciting branch of electronics.
Main purpose of the job
As a Senior Consultant you will be leading a variety of RF and electronic developments for both established and new clients. This position will allow you to be involved throughout the development cycle, from proof of principle investigations to new product introduction. Working alongside a world class team of engineers, you will also have the opportunity to support and influence business creation and be involved in project leadership.
You will enjoy taking ownership of exciting technical problems on a wide variety projects. An ability to learn and a desire to take on responsibility are as important as the breadth and depth of your current knowledge.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
Cambridge Consultants’ core expertise is in innovative product development. We are the development partner of choice to many of the world’s leading blue-chips, as well as the virtual development team for ambitious start-up companies. We also undertake technology consultancy projects – from road mapping the future of a technology, through to risk mitigation and product launch.
Our Industrial, Consumer and Energy division (ICE) performs consulting, research and development across lots of different markets, including:
- Industrial – sensors, robotics and logistics systems for manufacturing and retail clients
- Consumer – smart dispensing systems and connected sensor systems for personal care, consumer healthcare, food & beverage and sports & fitness brands
- Energy – sensing & communications systems for downhole and subsea oil & gas applications and smart metering systems
- Defence – secure end-to-end systems for government clients covering sensing, communications, tracking & location, and data analysis
The work we do is throughout the whole product development cycle, from product strategy and front end concept generation, through technical feasibility and detailed design to transferring the idea to manufacture.
The reason our clients come to us is because we are able to create systems that make a step change in performance, where technical innovation is the only way to achieve their commercial goals.
The Electronic Product Design group delivers exciting and complex electronic developments across the broad range of projects undertaken by the ICE Division. We have a focus on projects where designing challenging electronics enables us to delight our clients. Some of the areas we are currently involved with are:
- RF and communication systems
- High volume consumer products
- High value sensing systems
- Industrial robotics systems
- Industrial power systems
Your responsibilities will include:
- Interacting with clients to understand requirements
- Producing radio architectures and link budgets for RF systems
- Technical leadership on complex projects
- Board level design for RF and electronic systems
- Designing discrete RF circuits
- Communicating technical details effectively with clients
- Working closely with business developers to develop technical proposals and with project managers to deliver technical solutions
- Providing mentoring and technical reviewing for junior engineers
To meet the requirements of this role you will:
- Have an excellent degree in electronic engineering or a closely related discipline
- Have a detailed understanding of the fundamentals of RF systems and architectures
- Have an impressive track record of producing successful RF circuit designs
- Be passionate about electronics
- Have an ability to continue learning and a desire to take on new challenges
- Have excellent communication skills
Specific expertise in any of the following areas would be advantageous
- Antenna design
- Sub-GHz radio
- Control system design and implementation
- Software defined radio
- Switched mode power supplies
- Low noise analogue design
- Low power circuit design
- Power electronics
This role will be subject to security clearance vetting
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.