Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease for the early detection of cancer, inflammatory and infectious disease. Our mission is to save 100,000 lives and $1.5B in healthcare costs. We need to add more top-class Software Developers to our team to help us achieve it.
At Owlstone, you will be a vital part of the team tackling very challenging problems such as detecting early-stage cancer from patients’ breath, or warning people of the presence of minute amounts of life-threatening chemicals in their surroundings. To enable development of new detection & diagnosis algorithms for multiple applications, we are recruiting Python developers to join the team building a new data analysis platform.
About the Job:
For this position, we are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic Python developer. The role would involve:
- Developing & deploying services and APIs for data ingestion, data storage, ETL, querying and data processing
- Developing desktop software enabling clinical data capture, data ingestion and data visualisation
- Contributing to selection of technology stack and architecture design for new tools
- Working with data scientists & algorithm developers to translate prototype code into production
- Working within multidisciplinary project teams to understand requirements & figure out how best to meet them
The role can be based either in our London office or in our Cambridge office.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of developing software for distributed data applications
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases, including database migrations & schema design
- DevOps experience, including application containers, continuous integration & server configuration
- Some experience of desktop application development, ideally using Qt
- Some experience of web frameworks, ideally Django
- A drive to produce effective, well-documented, re-usable code
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail
Most importantly, we are looking for someone who wants to make a difference, can figure out what the right problem to tackle next is and gets stuff done. Don’t just tell us, show us what you’ve accomplished.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com. Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath – some are telltale markers of disease, which our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect. They key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage it drops to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on patients’ lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone is the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to email.