Abcam are seeking a Project Portfolio Manager in newly created role which involves leading a team of project managers working on New Product development (NPD) projects and pipeline activities. The Project portfolio manager will support the Head of NPD pipeline management to oversee all NPD projects in Cambridge and global sites and will actively support company initiatives.
The job is based at our Cambridge (UK) site but the job holder will work closely with other project stakeholders in all global locations.
Roles and responsibilities
- Manage, develop and lead a team of project managers.
- Provide leadership for the project management team to ensure delivery of project objectives and targets in the defined timeline.
- Actively build a collaborative environment and working relationships within the Cambridge NPD Leadership team and across functions.
- Work with stakeholders across marketing, finance, innovation and manufacturing to implement a transparent planning process, to facilitate optimal new product initiation, increased product quality and ensure projects are prioritized in accordance to business need.
- Management of communications to key stakeholders across global functions.
- Project Management
- Responsible for project management of key NPD projects from initial pre-project ideas to end of project (transition to tech transfer group or early closure of project).
- Responsible for project management of NP pipeline activities, including antibodies, conjugates and binders pipelines.
- Provide direction and ensure best practice in project management processes within the team and across global NPD teams.
- Manage projects using a framework that allows for specific reporting structures at key stage boundaries and a degree of flexibility.
- Ensure correct metrics are in place to drive projects forwards and continuous checking of project deliverables against the business case.
- Maintain a portfolio of projects providing status updates to the global NPD leadership team as required.
- Responsible for up-validation projects to ensure products meet a high standard of quality and meet customer requirements within the agreed timeframe.
- Responsible for increasing our NP offering by supporting the integration of marketing requirements for the development of products.
- Develop overall process and tools for strategic road-mapping, ideas management, new product portfolio management, stage-gate governance.
- Ensure correct metrics and communications are in place to monitor the new product development pipeline, identifying and resolving any issues at an early stage.
- Work with the Finance Business Partner to support resource capacity planning, budgeting and forecasting
- Manage quarterly planning and review meetings cycle
- Ownership of the budget for training and development within the project management team.
Our ideal candidate will have a PhD in biological science or equivalent experience and a formal project management qualification would be advantageous (such as Prince2). You will have extensive experience managing different types of projects such as a complex discovery and new product development process and extensive Project Management experience in an industry setting.
Experienced in using antibody reagents (such as in WB, IHC, ICC and flow) and a strong scientific understanding of processes involved in their development, including monoclonal and polyclonal reagents is preferable.
Additionally, you will be an experienced line manager with experience of scheduling and coordinating work across global sites with multiple stakeholders using tele and video conferencing. You will be highly organised, be comfortable working to deadlines, prioritising different projects and have outstanding attention to detail.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.