Are you a programme manager with the ambition and ability to lead the development of large, complex, multi-disciplinary, medical device projects? Do you want the opportunity to work with world renowned and respected peers?
We have a position within our world class medical technology programme management group for a talented programme manager with a proven track record of delivering successful projects. This is an excellent opportunity to manage projects that deliver ground breaking, innovative and challenging technical solutions within a diverse and exciting medical field.
Main purpose of the job
As a programme manager at Cambridge Consultants you will manage multi-disciplinary teams of highly skilled and talented engineers and scientists to deliver exceptional and novel world class medical products. This role provides an opportunity to be challenged and stimulated by your work, and to significantly develop your career.
Working closely with other senior managers and technical leads, you will help to develop new business opportunities around the world turning them into the delivery of successful development programmes, with a wide variety of existing and prospective clients. Taking full responsibility for delivering the agreed objectives within the authorised time and budget constraints, you will run programmes that often have to surmount considerable technical challenges.
Type of work undertaken by division
The Medical Technology Division undertakes the development of innovative new medical devices and systems from concept, through prototyping and proof of principle to new product introduction and on into manufacture.
We undertake development projects in three core areas:
- Clinical diagnostics and instrumentation
- Surgical products and medical systems
- Drug delivery devices
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and broad industry experience to form powerful development teams. Our work ranges from complete product developments to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.
Typical project examples include:
- Ultra low cost, high volume over-the-counter diagnostics tests; point-of-care, bench-top devices; Large complex, state of the art, extremely high sensitivity clinical analysers and life sciences instruments
- Very high volume drug delivery devices including inhalation and auto-injection devices.
- Surgical devices ranging from manually operated tools to complex surgical robotic devices.
The division undertakes both client funded and internally funded projects.
This role provides an excellent opportunity for an experienced programme manager with the ambition, ability and proven track record to lead the delivery of novel and radical solutions to new and existing problems under tough commercial, regulatory and time constraints.
Your specific responsibilities will vary according to your particular expertise but are likely to include:
- Management of projects from the proposal stage through to the delivery of the project
- Manage multi-discipline teams from our UK and US offices
- Liaising directly with clients to understand their programme needs for a broad range of projects including large diagnostic and life sciences instrument development, drug delivery device development programmes and surgical device developments
- Estimating timeline, resource, budget and key technical risks for proposal preparation
- Building and managing the project team with the appropriate level of expertise for the proposed work
- Reporting technical and financial progress both to the client and internally
- Lead meetings with clients, present and communicate ideas and concepts to all disciplines
- Take the lead in ensuring that projects are run to relevant quality standards including the EU and FDA standards for medical devices and in-vitro diagnostic equipment
- Take the lead in ensuring that projects meet appropriate safety standards
You will also support the business development functions, exhibiting and presenting at key conferences and at sales meetings. You will use your strong technical expertise and knowledge to develop relationships with current and future clients. This role will require some international travel.
To meet the requirements of this role you must have:
- A proven track record in the successful delivery of large and complex multi-disciplinary device development projects within a regulated environment
- An excellent degree within an engineering or relevant scientific discipline
- Experience of managing risk and timeline on development projects with considerable novel content
- A background in product development from concept through to launch including scale up and transfer to manufactureIn addition, candidates should ideally be able to show:-
- Experience of managing multidisciplinary teams, often across different client sites and worldwide
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A self-motivated team player who is highly enthusiastic about the medical technology product development area
- An excellent understanding of medical device development processes compliant with ISO 13485, QSR or experience of a similarly regulated environment
- Experience in diagnostics, drug delivery, surgical devices or pharmaceuticals either within a product company or consultancy with direct experience of device development
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees’ careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.