Are you an experienced product designer that is looking for a new challenge and a leadership role in a world class design and development agency? Are you interested in joining our growing capability in product design within Cambridge Consultants and are:
- Passionate about human-centred design and the interaction of people and technology in consumer and industrial products.
- Highly skilled in leading design through pre-concept and concept development, but also experienced in bringing ideas into reality, through to market launch and beyond.
- Able to strategically build business around product design excellence.
- Experienced in exploring visual language and branding.
- Enthusiastic about the ability of good design to delight the customer and able to evangelise within teams and to clients.
- Able to create innovative solutions to problems and communicate them effectively to market stakeholders.
If you think this describes you and appeals to your ambitions to develop and grow as a world class designer, we would love to hear from you. Please read on for further details about this opportunity and apply by sending your CV and an up to date portfolio using our online form.
Main purpose of the job
The purpose of the job is to take a key a leadership role in the growing offering of Cambridge Consultants in industrial design and human centred design within its Industrial and Consumer products campaigns. There will be three aspects to this:
- Design Leadership: To mentor and lead less experienced designers in both the quality of their work and its relevance to the client; helping them to decide the best way to communicate ideas. In addition be willing to challenge the client and champion the role of the design in innovation.
- Senior Practitioner: To produce excellent design work, both on critical projects (where their seniority is required) and in front of the client, when exploring ideas in a workshop environment. To feel at home in a design conference, mixing with leading designers in our industry sector.
- Evangelist: To support business development, being able to join (typically) second meetings and actively engage with potential clients to understand their problem and our value in solving it.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
Cambridge Consultants undertakes over 300 cutting edge technology, design and consulting projects every year. The ICE Division focusses on three markets:
- Industrial – sensors, robotics and logistics systems for manufacturing and retail clients.
- Consumer – smart dispensing systems and connected sensor systems for personal care, food & beverage and sports & fitness brands.
- Energy – sensing & communications systems for downhole and subsea oil & gas applications.We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to manufacture, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, innovation and R&D processes
As a senior member of the team, you will take a leading role in a multi-disciplinary team of technicians, engineers, consultants and designers. Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading the ID components of a development programme. Definition of ID and brand solutions for product developments and working closely with the wider development teams.
- Involvement in the generation of concepts and product architectures.
- Communicating design ideas through high quality sketching, illustration, informatics and, potentially, CAD.
- Working with business developers to explore clients’ needs and identify new areas of growth, especially in pre-concept and concept phases of development.
- Planning design and development programs with project management and, if relevant, leading those programs.
- Writing technical reports and producing high quality design documentation.
- Excellent degree in industrial design, human centred design, or product design from a leading institution.
- Significant experience in product design and development, with a bias towards pre-concept and concept development and evidence of technical skill in design and visual communication.
- Experience of design leadership or evidence of readiness for a leadership role.
- Experience of working in concurrent teams with engineers and manufacturers across different disciplines, especially with products brought to market.
- Experience in client facing roles at mid to high level, communicating and working with stakeholders to balance client and customer needs.
- Experience in developing and influencing the design offering of your employer(s) or clients(s).
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees’ careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.