The Principal RF Engineer will take a leading design role in the development of new ground-breaking wireless systems from initial client meetings through systems specification, detailed component level design and eventual hand-over to mass production. The role involves both driving and contributing to the specification of wireless systems, the design of RF hardware and the validation of those designs in the laboratory and, ultimately, ensuring their success in the field.
Type of work undertaken by group
The RF & Analogue Systems Group is responsible for delivering complete wireless system designs, as well as RF sub-module designs. The group works closely with the other disciplinary groups within the Wireless Division to deliver these services to clients, as well as to other internal groups. The role therefore involves close interworking with the wide range of disciplines within the entire Company.
Cambridge Consultants is a world leader in wireless communication technologies, with one of the largest independent wireless development teams in the world. The division works across the entire wireless landscape – from high volume consumer applications such as portable internet-based devices, through to professional high-performance systems such as the air-traffic-control radios used to govern the US airspace. The markets that we address include telecommunications, healthcare, industrial, satellite, consumer and automotive. This breadth of wireless activity provides tremendous variety to our team members.
Examples of our wireless design include the world’s first digital cardiac patient monitor, a professional intercom used at the Olympic Games, Femtocell designs, a number of satellite handsets and key technologies fuelling the rollout of 4th generation cellular systems.
- Take a leading role in preparing “top-down” specifications for wireless systems, taking the wider view of the product and application requirements and converting them into real solutions
- Take a “hands-on” role in the detailed RF systems design, component selection, circuit level design and laboratory based design validation of our clients’ products
- Where appropriate, create novel design solutions that will be of particular interest to our clients
- Where appropriate, take a leading role in the regulatory approval and/or field based design validation of our clients’ products
- As required, present designs, results and/or conclusions to clients in a way that demonstrates the value added by Cambridge Consultants
- Work as part of a close-knit, multi-disciplinary project team focused on delivering design solutions to our clients
- Contribute to the disciplinary development of the group
- Contribute to the maintenance and development of our CAD & simulation systems to enhance our development capability
With relevant experience working as a radio designer for a company in the telecommunications field or another relevant area, you will have:
- A good first degree in electronic engineering or a related discipline
- Extensive experience of RF system design and RF circuit design
- Current experience of RF techniques and RF laboratory test equipment
- Extensive experience of hardware development and hardware design validation
- Good knowledge of the product development process through to manufacture
- A proven record of getting designs right first time
- Good oral and written communication skills
- The ability to interact effectively at all levels in client organisations
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees’ careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.