Are you passionate about improving patients’ quality of life within the medical industry? Do you want to lead projects working to decrease the risks during surgery, or reducing the occurrence of misdiagnosis? This is what we do at Cambridge Consultants. We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Principal Human Factors Engineer to join our growing team.
Main purpose of the job
As Principal Human Factors Engineer you will apply your knowledge of human factors tools and methodologies to the design and development of a wide range of medical products. You will apply your deep understanding and experience of HF principles, practices and regulations to the design and evaluation of a wide range of products. You will take the lead in planning and delivering HFE programmes for complex regulated medical products.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
The Medical Technology Division undertakes the development of innovative medical devices and equipment from concept, through prototype manufacture, to new product introduction, often incorporating considerable technical challenges. We undertake development projects in four principal focus areas:
- Drug delivery devices
- Diagnostic devices and systems
- Surgical products and medical systems
- Connected health systems
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and broad industry experience to form powerful development teams. Our work ranges from complete product developments to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.
Lead Human Factors activities throughout the product development process including;
- Design and planning of HFE programmes
- Stakeholder needs identification
- Development of user profiles, target audience descriptions, and use scenarios
- Task Analysis
- Requirements Specification
- Participation in concept generation activities
- Qualitative and Quantitative user testing
- Failure and misuse modes analysis
Work collaboratively with other functions including marketing, engineering, industrial design, manufacturing, quality and regulatory to produce user-centered designs that meet user needs, but also factor in business priorities and any technical, cost and/or manufacturing constraints;
Plan and conduct user evaluations of product concepts and prototypes, analyze data, document evaluation methods and results, and present design recommendations to project teams, including external clients;
Interact professionally and communicate effectively at all levels throughout the company and with clients;
Serve as a resource for business developers to help define work plans, scope, and budget for proposed projects and participate in prospective client meetings;
Some international travel will be required as part of the role.
- BS in Human Factors Engineering, Engineering Psychology, Usability Engineering or a related field
- Significant experience applying various human factors engineering principles and methodologies to the design, development, and evaluation of end-user products, specifically within with medical products industry
- Strong technical communication skills with an ability to prepare and effectively present high quality technical documentation, business correspondence and presentations
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team, particularly in conjunction with Engineers (Mechanical, software and electronic) and Industrial Designers
- Flexibility, organization, and the ability to multi-task and to meet deadlines on multiple simultaneous projects
- Ability to come up to speed quickly on relevant industry and/or technical domain knowledgeIn addition, the following would be considered desirable:
- Experience in human factors for the design and development of drug delivery devices and demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable FDA regulations for human factors in medical device development
- Particular experience in UI design and experience with rapid prototyping methodologies for graphical user interfaces
- Proposal writing experience
- Previous consultancy experience
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees’careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.