We are looking for a skilled and creative PCB designer with experience of successfully delivering a variety projects to join our rapidly growing team.
From wearable devices to novel robotics, you’ll be working alongside talented engineers on innovative multidisciplinary projects that solve interesting and challenging problems for clients.
Main purpose of the job
You will be working alongside electronics engineers and other technicians producing PCB layouts and manufacturing data for a variety of new products. Our projects often employ leading edge and innovative technologies and require creative solutions to challenging design constraints.
Cambridge Consultants is enjoying rapid global growth. You will enjoy project variety and ownership of technical problems. An ability to learn and a determination to take on more responsibility are as important as the knowledge you already have.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
Cambridge Consultants undertakes over 300 cutting edge technology, design and consulting projects every year. The ICE Division focusses on four markets:
- Industrial – sensors, robotics and logistics systems for manufacturing and retail clients
- Defence – secure end-to-end systems for government clients covering sensing, communications, tracking & location, and data analysis
- Energy – sensing & communications systems for downhole and subsea oil & gas applications and smart metering systems
- Consumer – smart dispensing systems and connected sensor systems for personal care, food & beverage and sports & fitness brands
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to manufacture, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, innovation and R&D processes.
Technicians, engineers, scientists and designers work on client assignments in multidisciplinary project teams, generally on more than one project concurrently. High quality work is essential from every team member, as is a strong desire to learn to develop and implement solutions with different technologies and for different target markets. As a PCB Design Technician it is anticipated that you will:
- Offer design for manufacture (DfM) advice at all stages of the development process
- Carry out schematic capture alongside engineers
- Work with engineers to produce PCB layouts meeting the design requirements
- Perform post processing and Gerber generation
- Create and check library parts
- Be involved with or lead the CAD tool system administration
- Play a role in the on-going improvement of our company’s technical offerings by learning new skills and tools
Your main skill should be multilayer PCB layout using CAD tools. Experience in some or all of analogue and RF tracking, digital circuit layout, power electronics and digital circuit design is required.
You should be familiar with the current Mentor Xpedition tools (xDX, xPCB and xDM). Knowledge of other tools such as PADS and Altium would be advantageous.
A background in production engineering and knowledge of surface mount PCB assembly, including fine-pitched components, BGAs, board construction, via technologies and small passives is required.
Ideally you should have a qualification in electronic engineering, e.g. HNC. An IPC recognised certification and / or knowledge of IPC standards will be an advantage.
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.