Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for the early detection of cancer, inflammatory and infectious disease. Our mission is to save 100,000 lives and $1.5B in healthcare costs. We need to add a experienced chemist to our team to help us achieve it.
You will be working closely with the applications, and development teams where you will be expected to support new applications using proprietary in-house instrumental techniques and follow on the development process with successfully deployed applications.
We are looking for someone with excellent technical skills and laboratory experience. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, team player with a positive and flexible attitude to work. This is an outstanding opportunity to join an innovative team with a strong vision for the future.
Areas of responsibility
- Carry out feasibility screening followed by method-development studies of across applications ranging from defence and security to medical diagnostics, using proprietary in-house instrumental techniques
- With selected applications, work with customers on-site to integrate Owlstone products into their systems and processes
- Provide ongoing technical support to customers and commercial team
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date laboratory records
- Process and present acquired data to customers
- Understand and improve products and core technology through research and interpretation of experimental data
- Ideally the applicant will have a minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree in a related science discipline.
- 5 years experience of method development and experimental validation.
- Exhibit good interpersonal skills and provide examples of such in a customer facing role
- FAIMS / differential mobility spectrometry experience desirable
- Must be able to show excellent problem solving skills
- Possess a working knowledge of gas handling techniques
- A clear understanding and working knowledge of GLP and VAM would be desirable
The successful candidate
- The candidate has to be bright and delivery focused, with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Competent self management skills to allow both structured lone working, and integration into busy project development cycles.
- Interpersonal and communication skills are very important in this role. Must be a team player.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath – some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to email.