Owlstone’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B by 2020. You can become a vital part of our growing team, tackling very challenging problems such as detecting early-stage cancer from patients’ breath or warning people of the presence of minute amounts of life-threatening chemicals in their surroundings.
About the Job:
Roles at Owlstone are varied and flexible, depending on your skills and on project needs. However, your primary responsibility will be to develop and maintain prototype and production software for our breath diagnosis products.
The role will be based in our Cambridge office.
We are looking for an outstanding, enthusiastic developer with experience working in a multidisciplinary team, ideally on medical or safety-critical products.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Expertise in embedded C, including low level drivers, with exposure to the full software lifecycle
- Experience with real time microcontroller systems and with interfacing microcontrollers to external electronic devices
- The ability to follow software lifecycle processes & communicate progress to non-software colleagues
- The ability to produce clear, well-documented, maintainable code
- Familiarity with tools such as static checkers, Jira and Git
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail and an ability to review code carefully and constructively
Any of the following will be an advantage:
- Experience with ARM core processors
- Medical software development to IEC62304
- Knowledge of basic electronics and control systems
- Experience of using embedded Linux
- Experience of designing GUIs
- Experience of C++ and object-oriented design techniques
- Knowledge of safety or reliability aspects of software development
- Proficiency in Python
Most importantly, we are looking for flexible, determined people who can figure out what the right problem to tackle next is and who can show us that they get stuff done. Don’t just tell us, show us what you’ve accomplished.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath – some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to email.