Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath, we are looking for an experienced instrument operator to join our clinical laboratory team based in Cambridge, UK.
About the Job:
Working closely with the clinical lab team you will be expected to carry out analysis and validation of samples using proprietary in-house instrumental techniques.
We are looking for someone with a background in science, with experience of TD-GC-MS quality control. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, team player with a positive and flexible attitude to work.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join an innovative team with a strong vision for the future.
Areas of responsibility:
- Along with the Clinical Laboratory Manager and the Clinical QC Manager, ensure that all documentation is completed and under change control and adheres to quality requirements
- Monitor instrument performance (e.g. air:water check, voltages, vacuum, humidity, etc.)
- Troubleshoot instrument (e.g. leak check, replace column, etc.)
- Provide cover for the daily running of TD-GC-MS / FAIMS instrumentation
- Provide cover for running weekly/daily checks, assessing instrument status and ability to run samples
- Provide cover for running breath samples and tube blanks on a daily basis
- Ensure that the initial quality control checks on breath samples are adequate and optimised
- Assess the suitability of quality control stocks and standards
- Assist with the transition of methods from the R&D group to the clinical laboratory team, along with the Clinical QC Manager
- Support completion of next-phase analytical experiments
- Communicate with instrument manufacturer in case of HW/SW issues and QC issues
- Be on call for weekend remote login troubleshooting, as required
- Ensure adherence to ISO9001, ISO13485, GLP, GCLP and other quality systems, as required
- 5+ years of working in an accredited pharmaceutical / QC process lab environment
- Be qualified to degree level in a scientific discipline
- Demonstrate practical and technical knowledge of gas chromatography mass spectrometry
- Thermal desorption experience is highly desirable
- Demonstrate an ability to adhere to GLP and VAM to meet QC and QA goals
The successful candidate:
- Has to be bright and delivery focused, with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Must have self-management skills to allow both structured independent work, and integration into busy project development cycles.
- Will value interpersonal and communication skills very highly; must be a team player.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath – some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to email.