Owlstone’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B by 2020. We need more excellent software developers to join our talented multidisciplinary team to help us achieve it.
As a software developer at Owlstone, you will be a vital part of the team tackling very challenging problems such as detecting early-stage cancer from patients’ breath, or warning people of the presence of minute amounts of life-threatening chemicals in their surroundings.
About the Job:
Roles at Owlstone are varied and flexible, depending on your skills and on project needs. However, your primary responsibility will be to develop and maintain prototype and production software for our medical and security products, covering the full stack from low level hardware control to user interfaces.
The role will be based in our Cambridge office.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Outstanding development skills , including architecture design and implementation, in C and python
- Experience developing for desktop and embedded systems (Linux and Windows)
- A good understanding of source control/configuration management systems
- The ability to follow software lifecycle processes & communicate progress to non-software colleagues
- Experience interfacing analogue and digital electronic components and instruments
- The ability to produce clear, well-documented, maintainable code
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail
Experience of some of the following will be an advantage:
- Working in a multidisciplinary team
- Developing under real-time and / or secure operating systems
- Working with processes and standards, such as IEC62304
- Safety critical software development
- Design and implementation of user interfaces
Most importantly, we are looking for people who can figure out what the right problem to tackle next is and who can show us that they get stuff done. Don’t just tell us, show us what you’ve accomplished.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath – some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to email.