Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B by 2020. At Owlstone, you will be a vital part of the team tackling very challenging problems such as detecting early-stage cancer from patients’ breath, or warning people of the presence of minute amounts of life-threatening chemicals in their surroundings. The data we collect is core to solving these problems and we are seeking an experienced Data Engineer to help us build a scalable data analysis platform that will put this data at the fingertips of all our scientists and engineers.
About the Job:
Roles at Owlstone are varied and flexible, depending on your skills and on project needs. Your core responsibilities will be to own the design choices relating to data and databases and to guide the choice of technologies for the data pipeline to ensure a robust, efficient, scalable solution. You will need to work closely with our clinicians, analytical chemists, systems engineer and data scientists to understand how they need to work with the data, which includes clinical information, experimental metadata and sensor data. You will design database schemas, select appropriate technologies for the pipeline, and be part of the team developing and maintaining the pipeline.
This role can be based in either our Cambridge or London offices.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of developing & deploying scalable services and APIs for data ingestion, data storage, ETL, querying and data processing
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases, including database migrations & schema design
- Excellent proficiency in python and knowledge of ORM tools like SQLalchemy
- Experience with data warehousing and database optimization
- Understanding of how to manage issues relating to data provenance and reproducibility
- DevOps experience, including application containers, continuous integration & server configuration
- Some knowledge of current big data technologies and cloud-based storage & computing
- A drive to produce effective, well-documented, maintainable solutions
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail
Most importantly, we are looking for people who can figure out what the right problem to tackle next is and who are committed to delivering the solutions. Don’t just tell us, show us what you’ve accomplished.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath – some are telltale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease.
They key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to email.