Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B by 2020. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath, we are looking for an additional Application Chemist preferably with experience in metabolomics/biomarker discovery to join the team based in Cambridge, UK.
You will be working closely with the application and development teams where you will be expected to support and develop new medical applications using both proprietary in house instrumental techniques and traditional GC-MS.
We are looking for someone with proven hands on experience of using GC-MS within a metabolomics environment. They will need to show the ability of extracting significant results from large data sets using a statistical approach. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, team player with a positive and flexible attitude to work. This is an outstanding opportunity to join an innovative team with a strong vision for the future.
About the job
Areas of responsibility
- Experimental design
- GC-MS method development for Medical applications
- Statistical analysis of data
- Provide continual technical support to customers and commercial teams
- Maintain accurate up-to-date Laboratory records
- Process and present acquired data where appropriate internally and externally
- General assistance with the running of the chemical laboratory
- Ideally the applicant will have a minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree in a related science discipline
- 3 years of analytical experience and a strong background in GC-MS techniques with method development experience on GC-MS an essential requirement
- Experience of working directly with metabolomics data
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent problem solving skills
- Posses a working knowledge of gas handling techniques
- A clear understanding and working knowledge of GLP and VAM would be desirable
The successful candidate
- The candidate has to be bright and delivery focused, with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment
- Competent self management skills to allow both structured lone working, and integration into busy project development cycles
- Interpersonal and communication skills are very important in this role. Must be a team player
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath – some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to email