Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease for the early detection of cancer, inflammatory and infectious disease. Our mission is to save 100,000 lives and $1.5B in healthcare costs. We need to add an outstanding New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer to help us achieve it.
About the Job:
We are looking for a dynamic, hardworking, hands-on, multi-disciplined engineer, with good communication skills. Someone who is passionate about engineering and who will hit the ground running. Manufacturing experience is essential, preferably in complex electro-mechanical products and ideally in medical device production.
Reporting to the NPI Manager and working closely with our team of highly skilled technicians, chemists, applications specialists and development engineers the NPI Engineer will ensure that products are developed and manufactured to world class quality standards. All Owlstone Medical hardware products contain electrical, mechanical, pneumatic, software, and FAIMS sub-systems. The NPI Engineer is expected to assist new product introduction and provide engineering support to internal and external customers.
- Developing manufacturing assembly and test processes through hands on involvement in all aspects of engineering, production and support activities.
- Identifying opportunities for continuous improvement throughout Owlstone Medical operations; reducing variation in processes, improving efficiencies and manufacturability, working methods, test systems and product quality etc.
- Working with the supply chain to improve component quality, resolving material non-conformances when required, ensuring value engineering and advancing product assembly methods.
- Creation and development of process documentation, bills of materials and work instructions etc.
- Ensuring compliance to all relevant quality systems and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain records to track individual system status and history improving traceability, repeatability and quality.
- Drive the technology transfer process from R&D to manufacture, ensuring all aspects are sufficiently defined to facilitate successful release while achieving project deadlines.
The individual has to be bright, driven and focused with a structured, methodical approach to problem solving and keen attention to detail. The successful candidate will have/be:
- Honours degree or equivalent, preferably Electronic, Mechanical, Manufacturing Engineering, or Physics.
- 5years experience in a complex, fast moving manufacturing environment, preferably military or medical devices.
- Multi-skilled, capable of solving wide-ranging technical problems, inc. troubleshooting electronic circuits.
- Mechanical & system engineering design skill and experience would be extremely useful.
- Experience dealing with a variety of sub-contract component vendors.
- Experience in New Product Introduction programmes, Reliability Engineering projects, Quality Systems, preferably ISO13485 and ISO 14971 Medical device Risk Management would be advantageous.
- Prepared to muck-in and get satisfaction from improving the business.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com. Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath – some are tell-tale markers of disease, which our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect. They key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage it drops to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on patients’ lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone is the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to Reveal email address.