Do you want to spend your placement year working on some of the most complex and challenging projects and products, solving real problems and implementing mechanical engineering solutions?
Do you want to be exposed to enormous variety in the products you work on; from Consumer Products to Industrial Systems applications?
Our clients only pay for our services to do something that is exceptionally difficult, has never been done before or requires a very rapid turn-around. Despite these challenges we have a superb track record of delivering real products for our clients that can be found in the market today.
*NO AGENCIES PLEASE*
Cambridge Consultants sponsors gap year students, awards internships and recruits graduates. All of these play an active role in real client projects while being supported and trained in the areas they show most promise.
To give us the best understanding of your capabilities and skills we will look to challenge you every day. However we also understand the importance of support in your own development and you will be mentored by experienced Product Designers and Mechanical Engineers to broaden your design skills during your placement year with us.
Type of Work
Each project is different and we get involved at all stages of the product development lifecycle. During your placement year we would expect you to be involved in multiple projects, with the opportunity to contribute to our typical project work-streams:
- Front end research into opportunity areas and emerging technologies to inform the development process and choose the right product direction
- Concept generation – participating in workshops and brainstorms, to conceive possible solutions to specific problems
- Concept analysis – using mechanical engineering processes including maths to assess the validity and appropriateness of early concepts.
- Proof of principle test rigs – the design, manufacture, build and test of prototype rigs – often electromechanical systems. We build these on-site using our world-class facilities.
- Detail design – for client deliverables. This may be further rigs, the design of the concept prototype or even the final product. This will require direct liaison with a variety of manufacturers.
- Internal investments – our talented engineers are encouraged to pursue their own technology ideas and can develop demonstrators to prove these out. This is true from placement students to Division Directors! All of our many spin-outs have started this way.
This is an exciting opportunity, as an undergraduate, to contribute to cutting edge development programmes using a combination of your creative and technical skills.
An analytical approach will enable you to quickly add value to the various stages of the design process which you will be involved with.
A great example of the work that a placement student produced is our Tê machine, take a look at the press release: http://www.cambridgeconsultants.com/news/pr/release/112/en
The idea for the Tê consumable was generated by one of our graduate engineers (his name is on a patent), the demonstrator was designed by a placement student (his name is on the patent as well) during one of his summer placements and assembled by one of the current year-out students.
You will be in your second year of study for a degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar course, at a university which allows you the opportunity to undertake a placement year.
You’ll be on track for a 1st class degree and we will expect you to have good grades in Maths and Physics A-Levels as well as in Design Technology or an Art based subject.
You will be passionate about mechanical design and how things work. You must be a naturally ‘hand-on’ person. Evidence of successful and interesting projects both related to your studies and your own interests and hobbies is a must. Please submit evidence of these as part of your application (as a portfolio, or similar.)