Here is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is experienced and commercially focussed within health and safety.
Enjoying a variety of interesting and exciting challenges, you will work with some great people through the amazingly varied projects we undertake. And you should be able to think creatively for effective SHE solutions.
There is incredible scope within this role and certainly an exciting career with an excellent company.
Main purpose of the job
As SHE Manager you will be expected to implement H&S systems and procedures that promote a culture of safe working practices across the company. You will need to be someone who can provide pragmatic solutions to a variety of office and laboratory based activities and project-related H&S issues that may arise. The role requires you to be a self-starter and someone who is able to get things done quickly and efficiently whilst gaining the buy-in and respect of those people around you. It is a hands-on role where you will need to be able to take the initiative on matters, make common-sense decisions, work effectively with your SHE department colleagues, and communicate effectively with our engineers and staff in other support functions.
As SHE Manager you will be expected to implement our Environmental systems and procedures, ensuring compliance with relevant environmental regulations and maintaining our ISO 14001 registration. This covers, for example, our waste management systems, energy usage, COSHH compliance, and Legionella testing.
The SHE Manager will be expected to take responsibility for SHE activities across all our buildings in Cambridge UK, for our Boston office in the US, and our offices in Singapore and India. Occasional travel to our Boston office will be essential.
It is a role where you will be expected to identify opportunities for improvement and where you will be expected to have an input into how additional demands placed on the SHE department can be incorporated efficiently.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
Cambridge Consultants is a world-class supplier of innovative product development engineering and technology consulting. The Safety, Health & Environment department delivers and promotes safe working practices across the company. We are responsible for supporting and advising our staff who work in a wide range of fields including medical technology, wireless communications, consumer, industrial, energy and defence.
- Ensuring compliance with all current legislation, codes of practice and relevant standards.
- Investigating incidents, accidents and near misses and ensuring that any resulting corrective actions are implemented satisfactorily.
- Ensuring the maintenance of proper records.
- Ensuring that company equipment (project and infrastructure) is installed and operated correctly and safely.
- Collecting, analysing, and summarising regulatory and compliance data and trends. Using this information to help inform H&S plans
- Maintaining an audit trail of all H&S documents, making sure that our policies and procedures and up-to-date and being properly applied.
- Assisting in the documentation of contractual agreements with third party organisations where H&S are issues.
- Ensuring regular site inspections are carried out and problems are recorded and rectified.
- Advising Managers and colleagues of safe working practices.
- Ensuring that projects teams develop risk assessments and safe working procedures that are fit for purpose and are applied appropriately
- Advising on the types of training courses necessary for the maintenance of safe working practices. Identifying staff training requirements.
- Carrying out safety inspections.
- Performing root cause analysis for incident/accident/near miss investigations.
- Producing risk assessments.
- Recording and investigating any accidents, incidents or near misses
- Keeping up to date with all new legislation and development in H&S and advising the business of any changes.
- Assisting with planning activities and the setting of priorities, particularly through the identification of improvement opportunities that enable the SHE department to manage and deploy resources more effectively and efficiently.
- Managing SHE improvement initiatives, this includes preparing propositions, creating plans, securing resources, delivery and implementation into the business
- Carrying out site safety inductions.
- Ensuring COSHH compliance is maintained through carrying out COSHH risk assessments and helping maintain the list of chemical safety data sheets
- Assessing staff requirements for wearing Personal Protective Equipment
- Taking an active role within the company’s emergency controller team
- Working with the HR Dept. on Occupational Health matters
- Ensuring that our environmental aspects and impacts and legal obligations are adequately covered
- Ensuring compliance with relevant standards for our waste management systems and energy usage
- NEBOSH Health & Safety Diploma or equivalent
- Proven relevant Health & Safety experience.
- People skills needed for this role include a sensitive helpful approach: effective communicator, able to work as part of a team and have a good telephone manner.
- Computer literacy and keenness to learn new systems.
- Able to deliver results and strive for continuous improvement
- Laboratory based / engineering background would be an advantage
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees’ careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.