Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease for the early detection of cancer, inflammatory and infectious disease. Our mission is to save 100,000 lives and $1.5B in healthcare costs. We need to add more top-class IT professionals to our team to help us achieve it.
At Owlstone, you will be a vital part of the team tackling very challenging problems such as detecting early-stage cancer from patients’ breath, or warning people of the presence of minute amounts of life-threatening chemicals in their surroundings. To support the IT infrastructure that is vital for this work and to support the Software & Algorithms team in particular, we need an experienced Linux System Administrator.
About the Job:
Working alongside our IT manager, the role would involve:
- Installing & maintaining physical hosts
- Administering Linux systems
- Provisioning infrastructure and virtual machines
- Deploying & monitoring services
- Ensuring network security
- Documenting system configuration & deployment procedures
- Troubleshooting problems (including some cover out of hours during critical periods)
- Managing backups
- Technical support for users of the various tools & services
- Managing, monitoring and backing up the companies’ web servers, domain name registrations, DNS entries etc
The role is based our Cambridge office.
A suitable candidate would ideally have experience working in a DevOps environment and would be able to demonstrate the following:
- Linux administrator experience, encompassing the above responsibilities
- Experience working with tools such as Docker, Ansible, Vagrant, VirtualBox
- Scripting including Python & Bash
- Ideally, some experience of database admin (SQL and noSQL)
- Some experience of Linux and Windows interoperability
Most importantly, we are looking for someone who wants to make a difference, can figure out what the right problem to tackle next is and gets stuff done. Don’t just tell us, show us what you’ve accomplished.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com. Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath – some are telltale markers of disease, which our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect. They key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage it drops to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on patients’ lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone is the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to .