Do you have experience of radical innovation in the Personal Care sector? Would you like to lead world class technical teams in identifying, winning and delivering new business with Personal Care companies to enable them create the most innovative products and systems on the market?
We are looking for a commercial leader with R&D and technology innovation experience, drive and ambition to identify market needs and trends, understand how technology can generate significant market share for our clients and convert those opportunities into a substantial fee-for-service consulting, design and development business for the Personal Care sector, based on a strategy and plan that you define.
Main purpose of the job
The Personal Care sector (including cosmetics, fragrance, skin care, hair care, grooming etc.) is seeing a significant surge in the use of technology such as making salon style devices available in the home, using diagnostic technologies in retail environments to help consumers identify the right products for them, and embracing the IOT to bring brand and consumer closer together.
You will be a thought leader in market trends and use of technology to make the capabilities of Cambridge Consultants relevant to this exciting industry. You will close significant personal sales of technology consulting and product development professional services. To achieve this you will define marketing strategy, initiate and develop new clients, manage key clients and negotiate contracts. Working alongside world class project managers and technical leads, you will also take commercial responsibility for the delivery of successful innovative projects to our clients. This is an opportunity to own and grow your area of our Consumer business, defining the strategy and leading the business.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
Cambridge Consultants undertakes hundreds of cutting edge technology, design and consulting projects every year for clients across the world. The capabilities and market experience our 700+ engineers, scientists, designers and consultants have puts us in a prime position to help the personal care sector:
- Our Consumer business spans Food & Beverage, Consumer Healthcare, Sports and Fitness and Personal Care sectors. We use technology to differentiate our clients and bring delight to consumers.
- Our Medical business includes drug delivery and diagnostics – both of which mean we have world class and proven skills to help deliver formulation to consumers in new and exciting ways, and can understand consumers to provide personalised products.
- Our Wireless and Digital Services business allows us to develop best in class wireless and connected devices and help create integrated and seamless experiences for our clients’ consumers.
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to manufacture, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, innovation and R&D processes.
You will be responsible for all aspects of business development in the Personal Care sector, working alongside other business development, project management and technical staff. You will:
- Identify companies that are potential clients for Cambridge Consultants
- Identify sales opportunities, work with and guide our technical teams to maximise sales conversion
- Personally close substantial sales
- Develop strong commercial relationships with senior executives in client and potential client companies to enable further sales opportunities
- Actively utilise market information to guide the technical team, inform strategy, and internal investments
- Lead marketing activities in your specific area – this includes PR, social media, and events
- Interact with teams across the diverse market and technical teams
- Understand the importance of consumer insight and the impact that has on technical solutions
- Build long term relationships with clients, and perform account management activities
You will also use your strong commercial experience to communicate what Cambridge Consultants can deliver to potential clients. Your background skills will help you to make a significant contribution to the overall direction of development projects and to have indepth conversations with clients. You will be working across multiple new client relationships, existing projects, and marketing activities concurrently.
Whilst this position is based in Cambridge, UK, there will be international travel.
Having a good technical degree, your career will include significant experience in working with R&D or design departments, in a technical or marketing focussed role. You will have already been successful in a business development, innovation, insights, marketing or product development leadership role creating breakthrough products and bringing them to market. You will have a proven track record of having an impact on sales. You will be keen to take this experience and apply it to a wider range of companies in this growing space, creating breakthrough products with the support of an outstanding technical team.
You will have had a successful role in either:
- a FMCG/CPG company, or
- consumer medical company, or
- a consumer electronics company developing products and appliances, or
- another fee for service design and development company, or
- a consumer focussed marketing or innovation company
You will understand and have experience of the Personal Care and/or Consumer Healthcare sector and so will be able to relate the technical capabilities of Cambridge Consultants to the needs of our existing Personal Care clients, and the new ones that you start a relationship with.
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.