Cambridge Consultants is a world leader in wireless communications, with one of the largest independent wireless development teams in the world. We are looking for a Graduate Software Test Engineer to create test solutions for complex systems and products.
This is a graduate role for a 2017 start date.
*NO AGENCIES PLEASE*
Do you always wonder why something works the way it does, and what would happen if you didn’t follow the expected path? If you have coding skills and enjoy technical challenges then a career in test could provide the creative outlet for your curiosity.
The Wireless Test Group is growing, so if you want to help create innovative products for a wide variety of clients, Cambridge Consultants is the place for you.
Main purpose of the job
Working closely with the development team you will design and create test harnesses and scripts to thoroughly test the products being developed. The sort of software written by development is often at the electronics/software boundary and/or in a constrained environment (e.g. tight memory, low power).
Type of work undertaken by the group
Our work ranges from high volume consumer applications such as portable internet devices, through to professional high-performance systems including the air traffic control radios used to govern the US airspace.
The Test Group in the Wireless Division works closely with other disciplines to test cutting-edge software, hardware and systems. Team sizes tend to be small and are made up of highly skilled engineers.
The group carries out test planning, design and testing of all products coming into the Wireless Division. This includes creation of bespoke automation harnesses, usually in Python.
As you develop, with specific training and support, you will become responsible for:
- The scoping and design of all test activities, usually on more than one project at once
- The design and maintenance of bespoke test harnesses, including test script creation
- Delivery of high-quality code, compliant with our internal coding standards
- Carrying out your specific project tasks within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager
- As your experience develops, you might wish to take on further responsibilities.
To meet the requirements of this role you will have:
- A good degree in a technical subject, such as computer science, engineering or physics
- Experience of scripting in Python
- Good communication skills
In addition, any experience of the following would be advantageous
- Understanding of wireless communications systems
- Windows / Linux / iOS programming
- Other languages such as C
- User interface test techniques (Ethical Hacker / Selenium)
- Working in Agile and V-Model environments
- Bug tracking systems such as JIRA or Bugzilla
- DOORS / Rational Quality Manager