Are you looking for an exciting graduate engineering job, working on real projects, for real clients? We are looking for a talented electronics engineer to be part our world class multidisciplinary team of engineers and to help solve complex technical challenges. It will be challenging, but it is a great opportunity to contribute and learn a lot.
Main purpose of the job
Graduates at Cambridge Consultants work on real projects with guidance as required from experience engineers. Generally the projects are multi-disciplinary so the electronics will be part of a larger system that includes skills such as mechanical engineering, software engineering, physics and mathematics. You will have the opportunity to contribute in many ways, such as prototyping electronics, designing PCBs, debugging hardware, writing software and more. We will be aiming to find the full breadth of your skills.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
Cambridge Consultants undertakes over 300 cutting edge technology, design and consulting projects every year. The IDEC Division focusses on four markets: Industrial, Defence, Energy and Consumer.
Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to manufacture, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, innovation and R&D processes.
The Electronic Product Design group delivers interesting and complex electronic developments across the broad range of projects undertaken by the IDEC Division. We have a focus on projects where designing challenging electronics enables us to exceed our clients’ expectations. Some of the areas we are currently involved with are:
- RF and communication systems
- High volume consumer products
- High value sensing systems
- Industrial robotics systems
- Industrial power systems
Our project work can encompass the complete lifecycle of a project. Therefore you could be involved with projects at some or all of the different stages:
- Ideas generation – brain storming what a product could look like and how it would work
- Requirements capture – writing down what we are going to do for our client
- Architecture design – how a project will be broken down into modules for design and test purposes
- Detailed design – designing circuits, prototyping circuits, drawing schematics, designing PCBs, writing software and documenting the design.
- Integration of the hardware with other modules and engineering disciplines
- Testing the design meets the requirements
- Transfer to a manufacturing partner for volume production
We would expect you to have a great academic background with excellent A-level grades and be on course for a 1st or 2:1 from a top engineering university.
Experience in some or all of the following areas would be excellent:
- Analogue electronics
- Digital electronics
- Power electronics
- RF electronics
- Control Systems
- C/C++ software
- Python software
You need to be a quick and eager learner, too. You will be surrounded by experts in their field so it is a great opportunity to learn a lot.
You should also have a love and talent for all things engineering. What sort of projects have you achieved in your own time so far? We’d like to hear about this as part of your application.